WR400 engine in YZ400 frame

Hi All.

Have read numerous topics on this but most seem to relate if you want to hook up lights etc.

I purchased a wreck of a yz400 that had a blown big end so I bought a WR 400 motor and have made one motor out of the two & fitted it in.

I have fitted a WR CDI, but have used the YZ ignition coil and wiring harness.

I have got the bike back together enough to know that it starts ok and runs.

Trouble is it doesn't want to stop when I press the kill switch.I have tested the kill switch and it gets a circuit when the button is pushed. But when just hooked into the YZ harness it doesn't seem to work.

On the WR CDI there is a plug with a B&W and grey wire not used and on the YZ harness there is a B&W single plug now not used that used to hook into a singe B&W lead coming out of the old YZ CDI.

Now to make the kill switch work do I cut the B&W wire from CDI and hook up to the B&W single lead from the YZ harness and then just hook up the kill switch into its original position in the YZ harness?

What do I do with the yellow single wire from the strator and the grey wire from the CDI that are not used?

Thought this would be pretty easy since I don t want to hook up any lights or anything.

So any help on how I should correctly wire the kill switch or anything else I should do on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Birko

Edited by Birko7043

First of all-

On the YZ Cdi there should be one B/W wire with a single connector.

On the WR400 there is a B/W wire and a Grey wire that is just plugged off (double connector). So plug or use heat shrink (insulate) and disregard the Grey wire.

Now..

The wire that is B/W leading from the WR Cdi, goes to the connector leading from the harness. This connector will be B/W also. In other words the B/W connects to the B/W.

Now..

You should have a B/W wire (single connector) and another single connector wire- Black (Ground). This is where you plug your kill switch into. When these wires touch together it ''kills'' the engine.

The yellow wire was for lights, plug or insulate and disregard it.

Hope that is easy to read?

Enjoy!

First of all-

On the YZ Cdi there should be one B/W wire with a single connector.

On the WR400 there is a B/W wire and a Grey wire that is just plugged off (double connector). So plug or use heat shrink (insulate) and disregard the Grey wire.

Now..

The wire that is B/W leading from the WR Cdi, goes to the connector leading from the harness. This connector will be B/W also. In other words the B/W connects to the B/W.

Now..

You should have a B/W wire (single connector) and another single connector wire- Black (Ground). This is where you plug your kill switch into. When these wires touch together it ''kills'' the engine.

The yellow wire was for lights, plug or insulate and disregard it.

Hope that is easy to read?

Enjoy!

Thanks Barra. Much appreciated. I found a WR and YZ wiring diagram and what you say makes perfect sense.

"Spelt" is spelled, "spelled", and I'll spell Aussie any damn way I want, mate. :cheers:

Can I see a bit of hatred lol. I was only having a joke, gee wiz. lol.

You can spell Aussie any way you like but I will just shorten my words like spelt (spelled) ANY TIME I LIKE.

Each to their own.

"Spelt" is spelled, "spelled", and I'll spell Aussie any damn way I want, mate. :cheers:

BTW Grayracer (Greyracer in AU). I spelt it (not wheat lol) correctly.

Spelled vs. spelt

In American English, spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in the past tense and as a past participle. In all other main varieties of English, spelt and spelled both work as the past tense and past participle of spell, at least where spell means to form words letter by letter or (with out) to make clear. Outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these uses, and both are common.

But when spell carries the sense to temporarily relieve (someone) from work, spelled is the preferred form throughout the English-speaking world. This is a minor point, though, as this sense of spell is rarely used outside the U.S., where it is most common.

Here is a vid for a laugh..