WR400 engine in YZ400 frame

7 replies to this topic
  • Birko7043

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Hi All.
Have read numerous topics on this but most seem to relate if you want to hook up lights etc.
I purchased a wreck of a yz400 that had a blown big end so I bought a WR 400 motor and have made one motor out of the two & fitted it in.
I have fitted a WR CDI, but have used the YZ ignition coil and wiring harness.
I have got the bike back together enough to know that it starts ok and runs.
Trouble is it doesn't want to stop when I press the kill switch.I have tested the kill switch and it gets a circuit when the button is pushed. But when just hooked into the YZ harness it doesn't seem to work.
On the WR CDI there is a plug with a B&W and grey wire not used and on the YZ harness there is a B&W single plug now not used that used to hook into a singe B&W lead coming out of the old YZ CDI.
Now to make the kill switch work do I cut the B&W wire from CDI and hook up to the B&W single lead from the YZ harness and then just hook up the kill switch into its original position in the YZ harness?
What do I do with the yellow single wire from the strator and the grey wire from the CDI that are not used?
Thought this would be pretty easy since I don t want to hook up any lights or anything.

So any help on how I should correctly wire the kill switch or anything else I should do on this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Birko

Edited by Birko7043, July 14, 2013 - 05:52 PM.

• Do I Care?

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:18 PM

First of all-
On the YZ Cdi there should be one B/W wire with a single connector.
On the WR400 there is a B/W wire and a Grey wire that is just plugged off (double connector). So plug or use heat shrink (insulate) and disregard the Grey wire.
Now..
The wire that is B/W leading from the WR Cdi, goes to the connector leading from the harness. This connector will be B/W also. In other words the B/W connects to the B/W.
Now..
You should have a B/W wire (single connector) and another single connector wire- Black (Ground). This is where you plug your kill switch into. When these wires touch together it ''kills'' the engine.
The yellow wire was for lights, plug or insulate and disregard it.

Hope that is easy to read?
Enjoy!

• Birko7043

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:54 PM

First of all-
On the YZ Cdi there should be one B/W wire with a single connector.
On the WR400 there is a B/W wire and a Grey wire that is just plugged off (double connector). So plug or use heat shrink (insulate) and disregard the Grey wire.
Now..
The wire that is B/W leading from the WR Cdi, goes to the connector leading from the harness. This connector will be B/W also. In other words the B/W connects to the B/W.
Now..
You should have a B/W wire (single connector) and another single connector wire- Black (Ground). This is where you plug your kill switch into. When these wires touch together it ''kills'' the engine.
The yellow wire was for lights, plug or insulate and disregard it.

Hope that is easy to read?
Enjoy!

Thanks Barra. Much appreciated. I found a WR and YZ wiring diagram and what you say makes perfect sense.

• Do I Care?

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Barra. Much appreciated. I found a WR and YZ wiring diagram and what you say makes perfect sense.

No problems, have fun with your ''new'' WR400 (basically). :thumbsup:
Enjoy :aussie:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Do I Care?

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Correction- * :aussie: is not spell like that in the US, it is spelt aussy :naughty: i.e.. :aussy:
Enjoy! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:35 AM

"Spelt" is spelled, "spelled", and I'll spell Aussie any damn way I want, mate. :cheers:

• Do I Care?

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:24 PM

"Spelt" is spelled, "spelled", and I'll spell Aussie any damn way I want, mate. :cheers:

Can I see a bit of hatred lol. I was only having a joke, gee wiz. lol.
You can spell Aussie any way you like but I will just shorten my words like spelt (spelled) ANY TIME I LIKE.
Each to their own.

• Do I Care?

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:12 AM

BTW Grayracer (Greyracer in AU). I spelt it (not wheat lol) correctly.
Spelled vs. spelt

In American English, spelt primarily refers to the hardy wheat grown mostly in Europe, and the verb spell makes spelled in the past tense and as a past participle. In all other main varieties of English, spelt and spelled both work as the past tense and past participle of spell, at least where spell means to form words letter by letter or (with out) to make clear. Outside the U.S., the two forms are interchangeable in these uses, and both are common.
But when spell carries the sense to temporarily relieve (someone) from work, spelled is the preferred form throughout the English-speaking world. This is a minor point, though, as this sense of spell is rarely used outside the U.S., where it is most common.

Here is a vid for a laugh..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.