Looking for a 2013+ yz450f

7 replies to this topic
  • sandman1111

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:07 PM

So I´m going to buy a new bike and it is going to be yz450f. I got my eye on a bike that has 40 hours on it. Since I have no comparison, I would like to ask you guys If those hours could be true.

Pics are here (bike has new plastics) - http://www.mototehni...tehnika_ee.html

I´m also considering buying a new 2013 one, but it would cost me 1,5 grand more. I´m a bit afraid to buy a used one. Since I have no idea how fast Yamaha wears down, is there any sure signs that bike with less then 50 hours has or don´t have?

• jaro51

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM

In my opinion, 50 hrs isn't bad on a YZ450 but that is all relative. Depends on how well the bike was maintained, did it have good quality oil and changed every few hours? How about air filter, fresh one every ride? Valves checked on a regular basis, were they every out of spec and by how much? What was the bike used for, hard MX racing or trail riden by a dad chasing his 8yr old kid? Those factors typically out-way hrs in how worn out the bike is.

• sandman1111

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:40 AM

I know it is relative. just would like to know if on the picture it looks like 40 hour bike. Wheel wear and engine cases should be that worn? My friends kx450f with 20 hours engine cases look kinda same, but wheel has no wear at all.

• Grey73

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:30 PM

I've got 51.3 hours on my 2011 450 and the cases don't look near that bad but then again it depends on what type of rider. Pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Connect a power tuner to it and check the hours.

Bike should go to 100 hours without anything but oil changes.

• Joe_Jet

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:50 PM

I know it is relative. just would like to know if on the picture it looks like 40 hour bike. Wheel wear and engine cases should be that worn? My friends kx450f with 20 hours engine cases look kinda same, but wheel has no wear at all.

Side case wear varies widely. Mine always look more worn as I clean them with a scotchbrite which removes the brown finish. Also depends on rider and boots. I had a pair of 1st gen Sidi Crossfires that tore up my side cases really bad.....almost fubar! Unbelievable!

• sandman1111

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:36 PM

I know that you can reset Hours with power tuner, so not rly sure. Anyway I can get a brand new Kawasaki for a good price. Maybe I´ll get KXF just because Yamaha´s new 13 model costs considerably more. And most of ppl I know who have bought "lightly" used, have had problems with tranny and engine, so I´m leaning towards a new one.

Thanks guys for replies!

• jaro51

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:28 AM

You could get a leak-down test done on it too and that would shed a bit of light on how worn the top end is.

Depends on how tight $$ is, but for me, if I can get a new bike for $1,500 more than a used on I'd get the new one. It's easy to run up $1,500 in wear and tear on a bike such as, top end, tires, suspension linkeage, suspension fluids, drive train, tranny, bottom end bearings, brakes etc. I was in the same boat last year and flipped my 45 hr bike for new even though the used one was in great shape other than a leaking fork seal ($1,400 difference).

For the record, my 45 hr bike had case covers that looked like Grey73's bike above, far less worn that the one in the ad.

Edited by jaro51, July 18, 2013 - 05:31 AM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.