XR650L aftermarket cam ?

9 replies to this topic
  • Ed_Buratti

Posted December 17, 2003 - 04:15 AM

Anyone have an XR650L with an aftermarket cam installed? How does it run? Is it worth it?

• slip

Posted December 17, 2003 - 07:05 AM

XR's Only sells a competition cam for the L. There is a guy on the xrlug yahoo group that has a WB cam installed on his L, along with pumper carb and a high compression piston. It's pumping out 52 hp. :)

• billyboy11b

Posted December 17, 2003 - 02:04 PM

I've got a Barnum's cam in mine, and it woke her right up. Toss in a Edelbrock carb, and you've got power for days. :)

Posted December 20, 2003 - 06:34 PM

I did the White Bros cam (I think) and high comp piston and light port to head and geared it down. I was dissapointed for the money. I'm not saying it wasn't faster, just not what I was hoping for. I want to do the cam and piston to my 650R now and am afraid of the same dissapointment per $ spent so I am holding off for a while.

• motometal

Posted December 21, 2003 - 11:34 AM

Hotcams also offers a cam for this bike.

Most of the aftermarket cams offer an incease in high-rpm power by increasing duration. This lowers effective compression at low rpms, taking away significant low rpm power. Increasing the compression ratio with a piston will bring some of this lost low rpm power back. On a 650L you can increase the ratio a point or two, but there are limits to this unless you want to run race fuel (it doesn't help matters any that it's an air cooled engine). A cam with greater lift but equal duration will increase power without so much loss of low end, but since the valves must open further in the same length of time, this type of cam tends to be tough on valve train parts.

Most people replace the cam and piston at the same time, which is logical, but when you are done, it's impossible to tell which mod did what. I put the hi-comp piston in with the stock cam and mild bowl work on the head, and it gave the bike a noticeable boost in power (especially on the bottom) but I wouldn't call it a night and day difference.

So far I have resisted trying a cam, because I make use of the low end power 10 times more than I rev the engine.

Also, keep in mind that depending on the cam and the condition of your stock valve springs, it may be recommended to put in heavier springs. Heavier springs put a bit more wear on the valve train, but will help prevent valve float and other nasty problems.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chorbelt

Posted December 22, 2003 - 06:56 AM

I've got the XR's only HRC grind in mine, if you're gonna be in to the motor anyway, yeah it's worth it. Mine'll run with my buddy's KX500.

• Jpedwards1370

Posted March 29, 2012 - 12:19 PM

I've got a Barnum's cam in mine, and it woke her right up. Toss in a Edelbrock carb, and you've got power for days. :thumbsup:

Where di you get your cam from? Price? would you recommend getting one installed? Thanks :thumbsup:

• brianhare

Posted March 29, 2012 - 01:20 PM

You do know this thread is almost 10 years old don`t you...right......... :thumbsup:

• ThumpNRed

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:53 PM

If someone answers you will know how durable their cam was... Nine years and still going strong!

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 29, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Not the oldest necro thread I've seen, but it's pretty close.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.