Need engine

4 replies to this topic
  • chrisparker

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hey there, i'm a not a regular visitor to the website, i use it for info when i need something so i hope you don't hold it against me. I'm looking for and engine for an '03 wr 450f i just picked up. The motor came to a sudden stop due to piston or wrist pin failure at high speed. There are plenty of usable parts off the old engine so a good lower would be fine. A complete engine would be easier and then i can sell some of the parts and get some money back. So hopefully someone out there may have a lead on what i need. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have several calls out to recycle (junk) yards but nothing yet. If this is in the wrong place i'm sorry i couldn't find a for sale section, so please move it if necessary. Thanks again for any help.
P.S. i did find one engine but the guy want $2200. I can get a complete bike for that.
:cheers:

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hey there, i'm a not a regular visitor to the website, i use it for info when i need something so i hope you don't hold it against me. I'm looking for and engine for an '03 wr 450f i just picked up. The motor came to a sudden stop due to piston or wrist pin failure at high speed. There are plenty of usable parts off the old engine so a good lower would be fine. A complete engine would be easier and then i can sell some of the parts and get some money back. So hopefully someone out there may have a lead on what i need. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have several calls out to recycle (junk) yards but nothing yet. If this is in the wrong place i'm sorry i couldn't find a for sale section, so please move it if necessary. Thanks again for any help.
P.S. i did find one engine but the guy want $2200. I can get a complete bike for that.

What exactly is wrong with the motor first?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chrisparker

Posted July 13, 2013 - 01:20 PM

What exactly is wrong with the motor first?

As i said, the engine came to a sudden stop i believe due to oil starvation at the wrist pin causing it to cease. It then, i think, pulled itself out of the bottom of the piston. Then the connecting rod hit the bottom of the cylinder causing the small end of the con rod to break off and also causing the trans to com to a sudden stop and fragging itself. The crank also in its death throws punched what was left of the con rod through the engine cases. The piston got pushed up to the cyl head and, imo, actually protected the head from any damage. There is no indication of valves and piston coming together, the cam lobes and journals are in perfect condition with no signs of oil starvation. I think the piston wrist pin is only lubed by splash oil so i'm guessing the guy was low on oil or like i said possibly too much high speed running. He did say he was doing 75 at the time of the incident. So, the head and cams are good, so are the clutch basket and hub.The stator, which the guy had just put on a new one, is good, outer engine case is good, starter is good and some of the other small stuff. The cases, crank, piston, cylinder and trans are a little, shall we say, unusable. Hope this is enough, i tried to be thorough.

• MANIAC998

Posted July 14, 2013 - 02:48 AM

Yes, you would probably be better off replacing it instead of fixing it!!! Good luck!

• chrisparker

Posted July 14, 2013 - 04:48 PM

Well i found an engine. It's attached to another '03 wr. I found one for sale here locally with less than 100 hrs on it. The bike was bought and set up as a pre-runner for the baja races. The suspension was set up with racetech internals for a guy my weight.Even has all the receipts for the work. Scotts steering dampner and gyt-r exhaust as well.Not sure if there's any engine mods done but i'll check it out when i pick it up tomorrow.
So now i have a complete bike to ride and one to part out. So if anyone needs something let me know. It's pretty much a complete bike except the engine of course but there are some good engine bits like the cyl head, clutch, practically new stator. Frame has a clean Az title. I'll be selling stuff locally, the big stuff, and on ebay, the small easy to ship stuff.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.