06 yz450f dropped valve

4 replies to this topic
  • Dirtbiker88

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Ok so here's my story i was out riding my bike one day and then all of a sudden it just seizes up locked the back tire up, anyway so i bring it home and start tearing into it i take off the head and well the every thing was screwed up, one of the intake valves was stuck in the head and the piston had decent sized chip in it from the valve. I'm guessing it jumped time and the piston came up and hit the valve and broke it. anyway i know it wasn't the timing chain because it only had about 20 mins of riding time. I don't know why its jumping time i don't want to fix it then just have it happen again, what do you guys think?

• grayracer513

Posted July 13, 2013 - 07:38 AM

Check to see if one of the cams has seized in the head (look for galling in the cam saddles/shafts)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dirtbiker88

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well I checked the cams and they look and rotated as they should. here's a pic of the the head and cams.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1374016043.230906.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1374016057.399434.jpg

• NitrousR1

Posted July 17, 2013 - 02:53 PM

If they spin fine it could be worn cam and or crank sprockets or a Defective tensioner. Test the tensioner and see if u can push it back. How was it running before this happened?

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Occasionally, a cam sprocket will slip. This is often obvious visually. Line up the timing marks on both cams as if the chain were in place, and then take a picture of how the marks are lined up, and another picture from the other side. Let's have a look.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.