2013 WR450 Suspension Settings

14 replies to this topic
  • briankjones

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hey guys, thanks in advance. Picking up a new WR450 today and need to get some opinions on suspension settings. I'm 6'0 220lbs, intermediate rider . will be doing enduros and cross country. Just looking for a good starting point on sag, clickers, front and rear etc. so as too save time. i know its all a matter of preference, so if you are in my size, ability, need range. thanks for helping me out.

• GP1K

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:21 PM

You're going to need stiffer springs at your weight. I'm a bit heavier than you, my bike is sprung for like 255 IIRC. I can get the exact numbers (including clickers) when I get home if you'd like.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:27 PM

220lbs dry, wet, or fully geared up?

You will need to change your springs, period.

I'd say .50/6.0 should be about right.

• JDLowrance

Posted July 12, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Krannie took the spring rates right out of my fingers....

0.50kg/mm up front and 6.0kg/mm out back.

• briankjones

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:22 PM

thanks guys. GPK1 if you have that info handy, that would be great thanks.

• briankjones

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Almost forgot, on the springs, whats a good source for them for this bike. thanks.

• JDLowrance

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:12 PM

I use Factory Connection as they have a large stockroom full of them...and, the yellow spring looks good on the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:21 AM

thanks guys. GPK1 if you have that info handy, that would be great thanks.

I looked this weekend but couldn't find it, must have misplaced it... doh! I'll dig some more or call the shop for a copy.

• stewart_frank

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:57 AM

[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I just got springs for my 12WR450 from Factory Connection. Talk to Zak. The fronts they have in stock but the shock spring they have to get made because the length of the stock spring is different than the ones they have in stock and they said if they tried to use them I couldn’t get the preload set right. It was about $180 for the shock spring. [/font][/color][/size]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Stewart[/color][/size][/font]

• briankjones

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks stewart...good to know.

• JDLowrance

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'd have to disagree with that statement from Factory Connection only because I used the longer spring that came off my 2009 WR (needed a spring compressor to get it mounted) and have got proper sag numbers. They are right in that the new shock uses a shorter spring than the 07/11 WR...I would have thought they (FC) would have shorter springs by now....Slackers!

I'm sure Race-Tech can sort you out with the springs....but the shock spring will be blue ;-(

• GP1K

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I'd have to disagree with that statement from Factory Connection only because I used the longer spring that came off my 2009 WR (needed a spring compressor to get it mounted) and have got proper sag numbers. They are right in that the new shock uses a shorter spring than the 07/11 WR...I would have thought they (FC) would have shorter springs by now....Slackers!

I'm sure Race-Tech can sort you out with the springs....but the shock spring will be blue ;-(

FWIW, my suspension guy said the same thing... it's a shorter spring, took longer to ship than the fronts, which he had in a couple days, rear took more like a week and some change.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:20 PM

http://www.diverse-m...osssprings.html

• kevin wr

Posted July 16, 2013 - 10:06 PM

ktm 350 2012 is the same shock spring

• waltersobchak

Posted July 17, 2013 - 04:53 PM

FWIW, my suspension guy said the same thing... it's a shorter spring, took longer to ship than the fronts, which he had in a couple days, rear took more like a week and some change.

I got my springs from FC about 2 months ago. The shock spring was longer than the OEM spring. It was a PITA to get on but I did it without a spring compressor. I just did a race last weekend and when I got home I noticed the bottom of the shock spring was not centered on the shock shaft and some of the paint on the inside of the spring was worn off. I wonder if this has something to do with the spring length being different? I haven't had a chance to take the shock off to look for the problem yet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.