Grip installation.

4 replies to this topic
  • 600ish

Posted December 16, 2003 - 07:23 PM

I am an ex '81 XL250 owner who is just getting back into my first love of dirt bikes and I recently bought a well kept '94 XR600R and I am very happy with the bike(great power over the 250). I am currently replacing some worn parts (all plastic, clutch cable, grips etc.) Iam looking for some grip install tips since I can't remember the last time I bought new grips as well as whether or not there is any black or blue fenders/side panels that will work on my bike without modification and is the XR400 and XR600 using the same plastic? Thanks, Walnish. AnY tips on the XR600R would be appreciated.

• qadsan

Posted December 16, 2003 - 08:22 PM

Iam looking for some grip install tips

I've used paint, headliner spray, grip glue, water/soap mix and even WD40, etc, all with fair to good results. The headliner spray worked very well, but you have to work very quickly because it dries quickly. I've mostly used spray paint in the 70's & 80's when I rode much more often and sometimes used water mixed with a small bit of dishwashing soap, but I've always followed this up with safety wire and never had a problem. I safety wire each grip in 3 places (ends & middle) and bend the small twisted ends into the lower front of the grip and never feel a thing from it. I also like Spyder grips if you're looking for different brands to try out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted December 17, 2003 - 10:57 AM

I second the motion on Spyder grips. Few if any blisters, great griping, the company totally support desert racing, and they last 1000 + miles.

ditto on the spray paint trick.... :)

• JR650

Posted December 17, 2003 - 08:34 PM

the cheapest spud gun special hairspray you can find (aerosol) seems to work pretty good, i've used coke too once, just gotta put it on real thin and let it dry a bit (i was a ways away from my trailer) actually holds pretty good. I'm a fan of the stock honda full waffle grips, also like progrips but more on my banshee than my bike.

• mmxr650r

Posted December 17, 2003 - 08:48 PM

Check out the ODI Grips...I swear by these now!

ODI Powersports

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.