Thinking about buying my first 4 stroker, what to look for?

11 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I have been riding 2 cycles all my riding days. Well, ok, my Softail is not a 2 stroke...... What should I look for in a used YZ450F?? What years, what are the weal points? All that kind of stuff. Have a compression tester that goes with me.

Thanks for all the future input.

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Compression testers are useless on bikes with automatic decompression. Don't even bother. Besides, I'm not sure ow keen a lot of people would be about pulling the gas tank to get at the plug so you can do your test. Leak down testing is vastly superior, anyway.

Look for maintenance. Evidence that the oil is changed regularly and often. Check the air filter, etc. That and generally look over the bike for the usual signs of wear.

You may want to visit a few YZ450's at a local track or ride spot and listen to what they normally sound like, or you may get scared off a good bike by all the mechanical racket they make; they are a noisy engine even when healthy.

If you can ride it somewhere where there is room for it, try running it hard through the top 2-3 gears to see if it exhibits any tendency to skip in and out of gear under a load. They won't come clear out, but if the lugs on the top gears get badly worn, it will cause a jerking, "chain skipping" sensation in one gear beyond a certain load level. That would mean trans work.

The '03-'05 models were steel framed 4 speeds. They are available dirt cheap these days. They don't change directions with the aplomb that a 250, or even the later 450's do, but they're fun, and they will rail berms like a fighter jet if you do it right. The 4 speed is a little limiting off road, but not as bad as you might think. The '03 was a beast with explosive low mid range torque like a big block Chevelle. The '04 was slightly more civilized and had slightly improved suspension. The '05 was a tuned down slug by comparison, though not really slow if you revved it a ways. Again, slightly better suspension.

The '06 was an enormous step forward for the line. The engine has one of the widest power spreads of any previous or successive models. The later years up to '09 had a little less grunt, but a little more top end. The suspension in '06 was a quantum leap over earlier years. So much so that the forks haven't been changed since. The bike feels much lighter and more maneuverable than the steel bike (even though it was only a pound lighter). They used a 5 speed again from '06 on. The '06 and '07 models have a little more tendency to push the front end than the '08 and '09, but the '08 and '09 were handicapped by the use of the shorty muffler. Plan to buy at least a slip-on for any of these two years that might carry the original pipe.

• mrjata

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for all the great info. Lost my head there thinking about a compression gauge. A leak down set would be a great asset too. I have a set in the trailer.

Sounds like I should be looking at '06 and newer? I watched some video on youtube and you are right, not used to the noise. I need to hear some that are correct to know what they "should" sound like. I have a line on a few of them. Doing my homework on them. Rode and raced 2 cycles for decades. Would like to try a 4 stroker for a bit. won't ever part with my yz250 though. Nothing like that snap.

If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I might even get a project for the winter.

• mrjata

Posted July 12, 2013 - 10:23 AM

How does this look? Price point about right??

http://stjoseph.crai...3845497156.html

• Darvo

Posted July 12, 2013 - 12:27 PM

How does this look? Price point about right??

http://stjoseph.crai...3845497156.html

Maybe it's just me, but when I read things like "new jets", I typically run. Jets aren't really wear items, and by stating the bike has "new jets" the owner is letting us know that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing or talking about.

If it was just re-jetted, why? Has it been jetted wrong for the last 6 years?

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Maybe it's just me, but when I read things like "new jets", I typically run. Jets aren't really wear items, and by stating the bike has "new jets" the owner is letting us know that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing or talking about.

If it was just re-jetted, why? Has it been jetted wrong for the last 6 years?

New exhaust and jets in the same sentence. He rejeted to go with the lexx slip on hes got on it. (which would mean that he had the mechanical ability and cared about the bike enough to tear it apart and re-jet so there would be no risk of engine damage. Looks like a great deal to me..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mrjata

Posted July 12, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input. Just not sure...learning about what year bikes had what. Riding 2 cycle yz for so long, they seldom change anything major. No to scrounge up the cash. Anyone want a 6'x16' steel fuel tank? had to ask.......

What should I look for, other than the obvious, i.e. wear, leaks, rewelds, I know nothing about these motors. Not new to motors, just these. What are the idiosyncrasies of the beast?

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the input. Just not sure...learning about what year bikes had what. Riding 2 cycle yz for so long, they seldom change anything major. No to scrounge up the cash. Anyone want a 6'x16' steel fuel tank? had to ask.......

What should I look for, other than the obvious, i.e. wear, leaks, rewelds, I know nothing about these motors. Not new to motors, just these. What are the idiosyncrasies of the beast?

These 5 valved engines are almost always bulletproof and low maintenance ( Theres obviously a "lemon" or 2 that will fail early ) If you listen to the engine while running dont be so skeptical about the noise because these engines make ALOT of noise. (when I first got my 08 I was. a quick search on youtube and you will find dozens of videos of this, 10,000km later and the valves have never moved and she still starts first kick.) Check for wear in the chain/sprockets, slop in all bearings, bent/warped rims, suspension action. And see if the owner has kept track of the maintenance

• chris12901

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Honestly for that price you can't go wrong. It's almost too good to be true. If he'll knock 2-3 hundred off I'd buy it asap! Offer him 1800 cash and even if you put 1200 into you'd have a killer bike for 3 grand

• mrjata

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Honestly for that price you can't go wrong. It's almost too good to be true. If he'll knock 2-3 hundred off I'd buy it asap! Offer him 1800 cash and even if you put 1200 into you'd have a killer bike for 3 grand

I am thinking that too. If it needs work, winter project. If I don't get along with it, maybe get most of my money out of it?? First need to pay for the double knee arthroscopic surgery I just had. At least I can walk, now.

• Darvo

Posted July 15, 2013 - 06:38 AM

New exhaust and jets in the same sentence. He rejeted to go with the lexx slip on hes got on it. (which would mean that he had the mechanical ability and cared about the bike enough to tear it apart and re-jet so there would be no risk of engine damage. Looks like a great deal to me..

Wow I totally missed the new exhaust part - makes sense now. :banghead:[size=4] I'm an idiot sometimes![/size]

• mrjata

Posted August 02, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well, that didn't pan out, @#$%!  Back to looking.  Guess I want something 06 or newer.  A project would be alright.  Am I the only one who likes working on bikes more than riding them?  Scared to death to jump anymore.  Would like to find one to fix and sell.  Not really wanting to profit from it but don't want to get bent over either.

What are the normal prices for the various years?  Say, average wear.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.