Steering damper / stabilizer

27 replies to this topic
  • Fastest1

Posted December 07, 2001 - 06:45 PM

The Scotts is a good deal! I took the 1 off of my R6 and put it on my 426. BTW the dampers for the road bikes dampen toward the center not out from center. I talked to the guys at scott about this and should I have mine changed and they said it would be fine. It works very well as I am sure GPR and WER do. I like the way the WER unit goes on the lower clamp for protection. I also get a little nervous on big landings or should I say hard landings as I dont go big! I dont want the name Scotts stamped in my forehead. Bar pads dont cover it. I turn my bike plenty quick in any conditions. Also the object is to keep the bars from oscillating. In roadracing the headshake was pretty severe coming out of corners on the gas. It doesnt seem to be so bad on dirt but the speeds are a lot lower and so is the horsepower. I just wasnt going to let Joe Buyer get any goodies for 20 cents on the dollar if I can recycle them. You will like the dampers if you get one. I also think Scotts make its own dampers or they used to! Ohlins is somehow involved now but I think they are just the marketers. I am not sure. Cya

• wapner

Posted December 08, 2001 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for all of the great input. I was going to go with a higher bend on the bars with a forward offset of +5mm or so. This should help the slightly cramped feeling I have sometimes on a track or when I am trying to transisition to the standing position. To get my sore ass off the seat, could they make the seat foam any harder? For the record I am 6'1" with slightly longer arms than average for my height. Any ideas for bar bends from similar sized riders?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 08, 2001 - 01:55 PM

I think the biggest reason I bought the Scotts is the ease of adjustability and plain ...."adjustable".
I could not imagine even wanting a damper if you couldn't adjust it and especially if you couldn't do it on the fly!
I race dez and have to say once I trained myself to remember to turn it down when I get in the tight washes or mtns/trees I liked it a lot more.
But the first time I clipped a big ol' wowie at 75mph and was able to save it was when I justified the 4bones! :)

• IBWFO

Posted December 08, 2001 - 06:58 PM

Been riding for the last 30 years and have had a steering stabilizer for about 5. I grew up riding in the woods and wouldn't have a bike without one. I use the Scotts and love it. I do however change the characteristics when riding woods vs the track.
Regards

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • padykman

Posted December 10, 2001 - 12:00 PM

Hick

Just re-read my post on GPR vs Scotts steering damper and I don't belive that I ever stated that the GPR unit was better that the Scotts.

I had a scotts unit on a 96 xr600 and thought the unit was great. Then (96-99) on my scotts damper it did not have the marks on the adjuster knob. It may now. Where I did not know the facts I put unknown vs. what I did know on the GPR unit. I only stated why I chose GPR over the Scotts IMHO.

Buy what you want but price, warranty and ease of use were the selling factors for me. I called scotts and gpr with an open mind and feel I am somewhat of an average buyer giving my opion on why I chose one unit over the other.

• EMARacing

Posted December 10, 2001 - 02:08 PM

Originally posted by wapner:
Thanks for all of the great input. I was going to go with a higher bend on the bars with a forward offset of +5mm or so. This should help the slightly cramped feeling I have sometimes on a track or when I am trying to transisition to the standing position. To get my sore ass off the seat, could they make the seat foam any harder? For the record I am 6'1" with slightly longer arms than average for my height. Any ideas for bar bends from similar sized riders?

Wapner, you sound just like my build. I'm 6'1 or 2 and have pretty long arms. By far the best bend is the Tag T2 SX bars. They are tall and flat (don't sweep up like horns on a bull) and don't sweep back, which helps with the long arms. I know a lot of people like the Jimmy Button bend, but they sweep back way too far for my taste. Also you might look at 3-clamps that are adjustable. I run the Tag upper 3-clamp with the bar mounts in the forward position and the bar clamps turned for the forward position also. I think this gives a +10mm height gain and a +19mm forward gain. That along with the SX bars really opens up the bike for us taller riders and gets rid of any cramped feeling. Oh yeah, also add a tall seat foam to make the transition from sitting to standing easier.

Happy riding.

• MotoHero

Posted December 10, 2001 - 06:59 PM

One more tidbit...Scott's does very little advertising, but we all know the product. They don't give away anything, sponsored units remain their property. The GPR only has 6 adjustments, and unless it sits perfectly in the detent, it doesn't work.
I have the Scott's unit on my 4th bike and it is especially nice at a hammered Glen Helen or LACR when you can relax and let your bike glide thru the wheel holes and surprises.
I'm for Scotts.

• CalRMX

Posted February 22, 2006 - 09:38 PM

The GPR only has 6 adjustments, and unless it sits perfectly in the detent, it doesn't work.

I have a GPR, it works just fine when inbetween the detents, I set the GPR at about 2 1/2, it works just fine.
DC

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.