Tools needed to replace 2006 YZ450F fork seals?

5 replies to this topic
  • Raptorforme93

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Whats up guys, first time posting on here about my '06 yz450f that I got a few months ago. I scored it really cheap on craigslist after the whole thing was completely built and I absolutely love it but it's time to replace my fork seals for the first time. I've had race quads in the past so this is a first. I know there are ways around using the actual tools but I figure this won't be my only time replacing them so I want to go ahead and get all the oem or aftermarket tools to change them. What all do I need? Here is a pic of the shocks. Thanks!

Posted Image

• dirtbikeking843

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Seal driver, fork cap and the special tool for the top of the fork. I can't remember what its called, but it goes right where where the compression clickers are and it lets you separate the inner and outer fork legs.

Hope that makes sense

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2013 - 06:43 AM

To replace only the fork seals, you need a "cap" wrench (actually the top of the cartridge assembly, but doubles as the cap for the top of the fork), which is a 49mm octagonal wrench, and a decent seal driver. To go a step farther and change the oil in the damper cartridge, you'll need a 32mm octagonal "compression valve removal tool", basically a 32mm octagon with a 19mm/3/4" hex on top by which to drive it. Some simple tool that will hold the rod up as you disconnect it will be very helpful, as well.

This set includes all those functions other than the seal driver:
Posted Image

You should also have a manual:
http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx
http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZPaGuy

Posted July 11, 2013 - 12:21 PM

This thing really helps also. It holds the rod out so you can take the bolt out.

Posted Image
Just did mine, easy job. Took 40 minutes to do both sides while drinking a few beers and bench racing. If there is no sticker on the forks telling you the amount of fluid you will have to replace to OEM and decide from there if you like it. I used Honda HP5 fluid.

• dirtbikeking843

Posted July 11, 2013 - 02:58 PM

The tusk racing fork cap wrench has the rod holder built in to it.

• YZPaGuy

Posted July 12, 2013 - 07:41 PM

The tusk racing fork cap wrench has the rod holder built in to it.

Nice, I see that now that you mention it but I didn't know that. I used my buddies setup. I will def get the tusk wrench then. One less tool to misplace in the tool box.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.