2003 YZ450F - oiling question

4 replies to this topic
  • smokingtz

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:57 PM

ok, I had the primary drive gear nut back off and grind into the inner clutch cover. Crank end is still ok so I got another cover and want to put it back together but am worried that I got metal in the motor as the oil filter and oil that came out was chock full of metal and looked like metalflake paint. i don't see metal in the head area and under the inner clutch cover looked ok. so what would be the path for the metal that ended up in the filter. Did it get sucked up by the oil pump and thru the filter or does it go thru the filter first and then to ......

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:11 PM

ok, I had the primary drive gear nut back off and grind into the inner clutch cover. Crank end is still ok so I got another cover and want to put it back together but am worried that I got metal in the motor as the oil filter and oil that came out was chock full of metal and looked like metalflake paint. i don't see metal in the head area and under the inner clutch cover looked ok. so what would be the path for the metal that ended up in the filter. Did it get sucked up by the oil pump and thru the filter or does it go thru the filter first and then to ......

There is a diagram in the owners manual that shows the path of the oil. i dont have it now but the oil filter should of kept the chips from entering the top end via the oil track. That being said alot can get up in there by being carried up by the cam chain. just be safe and check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:39 PM

The oil is scavenged from the sump by the return pump and sent to the tank (frame). From there, it flows through the feed line to the feed oil pump, and from the pump, straight to the filter.

In your situation, you should plan to remove the frame feed line screen and clean the oil tank out.

• smokingtz

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Thanks. I was definitely planning on cleaning the[font="verdana"][size="1"][color="#343434"] [/color][/size][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]frame feed line screen. Doesn't look too bad otherwise. Wish me luck.[/background][/font][/color]

• smokingtz

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Fixed. Had to change the inner clutch cover but clutch basket was ok. There wasn't much metal in the oil tank screen and after running it for 5 minutes the oil filter looked pretty good too. Changed the filter and now am ready to go. Thanks for the help TT.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.