Hone

5 replies to this topic
  • The_Dave

Posted December 16, 2003 - 03:48 PM

Fellers,

I have my engine (650R) apart to change out broken transmission parts and I am seeing that I am getting a little oil past the rings. Time to replace them. My question is can you run a ball-hone in the cylinder to break the glaze or will I damage it that way?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

• irondude

Posted December 16, 2003 - 05:25 PM

its a no-hone chrome zone as far as i know...

Just had mine done by Barnumspro.com: As always they did a GREAT job, and worked late into the night just before the Baja 1000 to get my engine back to me for the pre-running.
Thanks Rob!
-new piston, rings, valves, rod, crank...went with the Kibblewhite valves/springs, Carrilo rod, OEM piston. Cant believe how much better it runs!

Unexpectedly found a 1/2 broken timing chain in the process and some VERY worn tensioner plastic plus the valves where tuliped (despite periodic tightening)...something to look for/just FYI. :)

• The_Dave

Posted December 17, 2003 - 09:15 AM

10-4

Nowthen, if it is a "no hone crome zone" how do you go about getting new rings to seat?

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted December 17, 2003 - 09:37 AM

The cylinder is welded with a nickel and crome and rehoned. Or you can have it bored and a steal sleave put in for the 680 kit? That's what I am going to do a long with cam, bigger valves and what ever else Mr. Rob Barnums can work up for me. :)

• The_Dave

Posted December 17, 2003 - 11:51 AM

Hmmmmm

Ok, I am not trying to be difficult her but I have no cylinder damage that I have to remove, I am not installing a larger piston, I am just replacing the rings and I want them to seat in. In the past I have run a ball hone through the cylinder to break the glaze and seat the rings. Nowthen, if you can't run anything through the cylinder to cross-hatch the cyclinder and break the glaze how in the hell do you ever get new rings to seat?

Has anyone out there replaced rings? What did you do?

Dave

• madroberts07

Posted April 01, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I used a ball hone on my wr , it was nickel plated, and turned out fine. A ball hone won't take enough material off to go though the nickel plating.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.