How do I get the Crankshaft & Conrod Assy out of the Bottom Engine Case?

7 replies to this topic
  • Laserau77

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hi Guys,

I am parting out a 1999 WR400 and are currently pulling the bottom end of the engine apart.
I got the Engine Case away from the Crankshaft on one side but on the other side it is real hard to get off.
It may be a pressure fit in to the bearing so before I destroy something I thought I should ask the experts.

Does anyone have any tricks for getting the Crankshaft out of the bottom engine case bearings?

Do I need a Press to push it out?

• Do I Care?

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:51 AM

It is not hard to remove, just use a Pvc pipe or piece of dowel (wood) the same size as the crankshaft and lightly tap it out being careful not to damage it.

• Do I Care?

Posted July 09, 2013 - 03:39 AM

If that is not enough force, try using a brass or copper pipe, a thickish piece of hard wood dowel should do the trick though. If that fails use the correct puller.

• Laserau77

Posted July 09, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Barra, I have use a piece of dowel but its being stubborn so I think I will try a piece of brass and see how that goes.
At least I know I am on the right track now so will give it a better go this time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Do I Care?

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:25 PM

No problems,
Just don't damage the anything in the process. If it's being a prick- hold a piece of hard wood against the crankshaft whilst tapping it out with a hammer.

• grayracer513

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:43 PM

If you're planning on having the crank replaced or at least realigned, then go ahead and hammer it out like that. If not, go at least rent a simple crow's foot or cross bridge universal puller and get a couple of bolts to screw into the puller holes so you won't cause more problems than you solve.

• Laserau77

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:44 AM

I got I out

• GHILL28

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:15 PM

If you're parting it out and the gears are in good shape, I'll probably take them. PM me!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.