Fork oil

3 replies to this topic
  • texaswr250

Posted December 06, 2001 - 04:36 AM

When filling my forks with oil, I used a Motion Pro tool that was adjusted to 5.51 inches to remove the excess oil (came out to about 1/2 a quart for both forks). The manual didn't say anything about bleeding the air, or re-adjusting compression. Should I do anything else or just go ride and see how they work?

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 06, 2001 - 07:33 AM

Did you drain all of the oil from your forks (pump the rod, turn over, pump the rod, turn over, etc.. many times until empty)? If so then it should take more than 1/2 quart for both forks (or did you mean 1/2 quart/each which sounds like it's in the neighborhood depending on final oil level). Re-read the manual carefully. It says that after filling you should pump the rod then refil to the top and wait 10 minutes for all air to escape. I found that if you keep doing the pump-rod and refil routine you can get all of the air out in only a few minutes, but I left it for 10 minutes just to be safe. I used a little more than one quart total if I don't count what I removed to set the level (set mine at the stock 130mm level). The manual also states to back the top adjuster all the way out before tightening the fork caps. I highly recommend having the Yamaha manual open next to you while you do the change if it's your first time, the directions are very good. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texaswr250

Posted December 06, 2001 - 09:41 AM

I just dumped the oil out, didn't pump then empty. It was less than a quart for both.I may redo them and turn the clickers out before putting caps back on.

• DaveJ

Posted December 06, 2001 - 11:00 AM

Sirthump covered all the key advice you need to follow.

The reason you turn out the rebound clickers is to assure that the top inside of the cap meets with the top of the compression rod. If not, adjustments between the two forks would not yield the same performance.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.