Cam chain question

5 replies to this topic
  • exracer2

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I picked up a wr 426 in march of this year. When I first rode it, this bike would do 3rd gear roll on wheelies with ease. I notice the engine was quite noisie so I order a cam chain and installed it and checked the valves. The old cam chain was stretched real bad ,worst I have ever seen and surprise it didn't break. The engine also has a a Wiesco 13 to 1 piston in it and a decompression cam. After I put it back together the bike will not do 3rd gear wheelies as easy as before. The bike feels like my other wr400 and my yz426'. I am not saying its slow, It has just lost that little extra it had. Now could it be that the stretched chain gave me a better cam separation that enhanced the power? If I get an adjustable intake and play with the lobe separation I can find that lost power? Exracer2

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:02 AM

I picked up a wr 426 in march of this year. When I first rode it, this bike would do 3rd gear roll on wheelies with ease. I notice the engine was quite noisie so I order a cam chain and installed it and checked the valves. The old cam chain was stretched real bad ,worst I have ever seen and surprise it didn't break. The engine also has a a Wiesco 13 to 1 piston in it and a decompression cam. After I put it back together the bike will not do 3rd gear wheelies as easy as before. The bike feels like my other wr400 and my yz426'. I am not saying its slow, It has just lost that little extra it had. Now could it be that the stretched chain gave me a better cam separation that enhanced the power? If I get an adjustable intake and play with the lobe separation I can find that lost power? Exracer2

Are you running pump gas? 13/1 is stretching it on pump gas and it may have had high octane stuff in it from previous owner on your first ride.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:21 AM

If it doesn't ping, octane isn't a problem.

The decomp cam you bought, was that for a WR or a YZ426?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • exracer2

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:12 AM

It did not have race gas and the cam was already in it. I just put a new cam chain in it. It will ping if I lug it but other wise it runs good, starts and idles great. It does warm up faster then my other bikes. It usually runs about 160 to 180 degrees. Exracer2

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Your exhaust cam timing is off by one tooth (too close)

• exracer2

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:49 PM

It's 13 pins and timing is set to hot cam marks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.