Blue to orange?

6 replies to this topic
  • Old Man Rider

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:29 AM

Looking for opinions. I posted a similar thread on the KTM forum. I ride almost exclusively woods - 6 4 230lbs. Ready to sell my 2005 WR450 it has been a great bike - main reason is I would like a little more low end snap (and just ready for a new bike). Thought about a YZ450f with some mods to set up for woods but after a lot of research/thinking, I still want estart and the yzf is likely too snappy for woods riding where you have sections of hills, deep water holes which require some lugging to glide thru. So was ready to go with a new 2012 or newer wr450 with alum frame, EFI, etc I have heard the performance has improved over the years. But have recently been reading about the KTM 450 xcf which seems like it is perfect for my interest of having a higer performance woods bike - basically KTM has done the work of converting a MX bike to woods - still has the performance but bike has been modified for woods riding. Am I reading this correctly? I have never ridden a KTM. how much difference will there be between the 2005 wr and a newer model? Thanks

• J D R

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:07 AM

I bet krannie will have an opinion on this lol. I think ktm makes a great bike I've got a 12 450 xcw that has been very good woods bike no issues at all. the wr just seem very heavy to me I think a wr would be good for more open trails but the really tight st I ride it would be to much. In fact I'm looking at getting a new 300 cause my 450 is a tad to heavy but I'm having trouble selling it cause its such an incredible all around bike it does every thing very well. and it weighs 20 lbs less than wr. The power of the ktm is super smooth for woods riding. The xcf your looking at is much more aggressive than the xcw stiffer suspension more power 5 speed vs 6 on the xcw. If your a very aggressive rider go with the xcf.

Edited by J D R, July 07, 2013 - 05:18 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:50 AM

The KTM 450 XC-w is an upgrade from your older WR.
But I think the new WR is much better for aggressive riding.
The KTM is soft on power and suspension. Very soft.
I'd recommend a Beta over a KTM anyday, unless you love the feeling of oversteer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • endurojunkie

Posted July 07, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Looking for opinions. I posted a similar thread on the KTM forum. I ride almost exclusively woods - 6 4 230lbs. Ready to sell my 2005 WR450 it has been a great bike - main reason is I would like a little more low end snap (and just ready for a new bike). Thought about a YZ450f with some mods to set up for woods but after a lot of research/thinking, I still want estart and the yzf is likely too snappy for woods riding where you have sections of hills, deep water holes which require some lugging to glide thru. So was ready to go with a new 2012 or newer wr450 with alum frame, EFI, etc I have heard the performance has improved over the years. But have recently been reading about the KTM 450 xcf which seems like it is perfect for my interest of having a higer performance woods bike - basically KTM has done the work of converting a MX bike to woods - still has the performance but bike has been modified for woods riding. Am I reading this correctly? I have never ridden a KTM. how much difference will there be between the 2005 wr and a newer model? Thanks

Hey OMR, we have similar proportions and I've been through the same quandry and my application is technical and trail - from an 07 wr450 - reliable as hell but not exactly nimble and suspension wallowy, upgraded to 2010 YZ450 and spent quit a bit trying to make it more friendly in the tech and climbing department - failed, then bought 2012 wr450 - somewhere between the old wr and the YZ - great suspension but still found the engine too snappy (tried mapping), clutch pull too hard and fading when hot. For the heck of it I went on a Beta demo day ride - after working through the range I got my ass in the sadlle of the 498 and refused to give it back. 1've ridden a few different bikes, including KTMs in challenging tech and trail and I can honestly say this little red italian tractor is the business. It chugs up anything putting power down where others cannot find traction, very linear power, never stalls or boils and in the open stuff it flies. The only mod I've done is stiffer fork an shock springs. A few of my mates have since converted to Beta. Hope this helps.

• J D R

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:55 PM

I have test rode a beta 498 as well very impressive bike.

• n16ht5

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I am not fond of the KTM suspension, but the 525/520 has insane amounts of low end snap.

• Old Man Rider

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Thanks all for the responses - Beta - never heard of them until now - seems like they have a lot of positive reviews. I will definitely take a look. It would be great to ride my top few options - unfortunately I haven't found dealers who are willing to allow for a demo ride.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.