2002 Wr-426 wont start

4 replies to this topic
  • shakey0818

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hi my name is Rob and am from RI.I just picked up this 2001 Yamaha 426 with less than 500 miles on it. I got it off a friend for $1500.I didn't get the manual for it yet so I'm just trying to get it started. It has not run in a few years but has been garage kept took off the carb to clean it out but it was spotless. I then saw a few videos showing how to start it. In the videos it has a red cold start on the handlebar. Mine has a red and a black pull knob on the carb. I am assuming it is the cold/hot start button. I turn the gas on, pull out the red button give it one pump 1/2 throttle squeeze the decompression lever and kick it to about level then add an inch. I then bring the kick start back up to reg position and kick it. I do these steps often with little results. A few times it kinda made a puff sound like it wanted to start and even once it had a little backfire type of noise. I figured it may be the spark plug and proceeded to take off all the plastics and the tank to find this rubber spark plug type of boot that seems stuck on. I don't want to tear it off. The other end of what I think may be the spark plug wire goes to this little can type of thing the size of a pill bottle. I know this is prob a dumb question but is that a spark plug? I feel like my ankle is going to get sprained from constantly kick starting it.Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ty,Rob

• Do I Care?

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:13 PM

First of all- the red knob is the hot-start and the black is the enrichener (choke).

Cold starting procedure-
Pull out the black knob (choke).
Turn the throttle VERY slightly until in the start position (about 3mm from closed position)
Now crank the engine using the kick-start lever until you find TDC (the hardest point).
Now turn the engine slightly past TDC with the decompression lever held in (until it gets a little less hard but you should still be able to stand on the kick-start lever).
Now kick...
Usually- feel disappointed and repeat the procedure.

Hot start procedure-
Same as above without using the choke.

Bike falls over-
Same as above (without choke) using the hot-start (red knob). You may also need to crank the engine several times using the decompression lever to un-flood the engine.

Some people may have a slightly different procedure but this works for me (usually second kick, sometimes first).

Now...

. I figured it may be the spark plug and proceeded to take off all the plastics and the tank to find this rubber spark plug type of boot that seems stuck on. I don't want to tear it off. The other end of what I think may be the spark plug wire goes to this little can type of thing the size of a pill bottle. I know this is prob a dumb question but is that a spark plug? I feel like my ankle is going to get sprained from constantly kick starting it.Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ty,Rob

The spark plug is under the ignition coil rubber boot/grommet. Pull upwards on the spark plug boot/grommet to remove it from the spark plug. The spark plug can now be seen.

The thing you are referring to is the ignition coil (if I understood your post right).
Once the spark plug is removed, ground it to the engine and check for spark while cranking the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shakey0818

Posted July 26, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here's a update. I took the spark plug out, cleaned it and it started right up. I still had a hard time kicking it over. I took it to a friend and he took the carb off cleaned it up and it seemed to be running good. Sense then it ran real good but was still hard for me to kick it over. Now when I get it started it will only stay running if I give it a little gas. I try to let off the gas to use the black knob to adjust the idle but it stalls and t start back up for a few hours. I tried every combo of pulling out the hot/cold start buttons but cant seem to figure it out. Someone told me the carb may have to be re jetted but this thing only has 460 miles on it. I'm sure its something I'm missing.

Thanks for the help guys

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 26, 2013 - 03:54 PM

The passage above the pilot is still partially clogged.
Install a brand new pilot jet.

• shakey0818

Posted July 26, 2013 - 04:27 PM

The passage above the pilot is still partially clogged.
Install a brand new pilot jet.

What is a the passage above the pilot and would you know the part number.

Ty for your response.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.