Why no non studded winter tires for bikes...?

7 replies to this topic
  • kawidual

Posted December 15, 2003 - 08:51 PM

I have searched hi & low for a "Blizzak" type tire to no avail. I believe the key to why good snow tires work is the tread compound and small "slits" in the tread for grip. How come no one makes
a winter tire without studs...? I would like someting I can ride on clear pavement 80-100 miles that would work well in the snow & moderate ice when I get there. I think studs would just wear down way to fast for this type if riding. Im just asking for too much or what...?

Maybe just stud the outside lugs & leave the center contact patch clean?

Posted Image

• BrandonW

Posted December 16, 2003 - 10:37 AM

Trelleberg makes some studded tires, but I think they are not DOT approved. I think these are just for racing applications.

I currently have my hands on a set of Death Wings that I am going to run hex-head screws into.

Here are the trelleborgs.

Posted Image

• sonorawfo

Posted December 16, 2003 - 06:34 PM

I spend most of my winter months plowing snow in the high country and have often thought about what would be best for a off road bike in the snow and ice????. I have tryed a few things mostly with limeted sucsess, (I.E. digging the bike out of the snow!!!). I'd like to hear some other opinions about snow riding????. :).

• Drew_Seattle_DRZ400s

Posted December 17, 2003 - 02:35 PM

It's like riding in the sand, only faster......... just gotta keep that baby up on plane! :) :D

I do find that a fairly new S-12 works good in the snow, but not so good on ice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sonorawfo

Posted December 17, 2003 - 06:58 PM

I build chains for trucks and even built a set for my bike last year!!, worked ok for icy conditions!!, (but beat the crap out of the rim,s), I've tryed paddle tires and everything else I could think of???. 2 wheels in winter is just another challenge!!!. :D. Winter weather does'nt stop me from rideing, it just makes me learn new area,s and normally ad,s some more bruise's to my body!!!!????. It's all fun when I'me on a bike!!!!!!!!!!!. :)

• z4me

Posted December 18, 2003 - 03:30 PM

>Why no non studded winter tires for bikes...?

I would guess that they don't make motorcycle snow tires in order not to get their :D sued.

>I'd like to hear some other opinions about snow riding??

If you've got them and it's legal - try riding on the snowmobile trails at night. They are packed down, and at night you can see the snowmobiles coming for quite a distance. Allthough you need to get out of their way :) if you know what I mean...

• montanaWR250F

Posted January 02, 2004 - 12:37 PM

On my dualsport I run semi-studded tires. I went to a car tire store (old school) and they inserted car studs as an experiment. After some trial and error I have enought carbide car studs that will not pull out like screws and a are poor man's Trellborgs

I can ride on street and not be paranoid about low siding and can ride on ice and snow. I did this four years ago and the same tires are used in winter. Since then I have picked up a tire studder (looks like a cross between a air drill and tommy gun machine gun) and am making full hardcore "trellborg" type tires on my own. The beauty of car studs is that they come in a lot of sizes and they are made to last 35,000 miles on a car that travels at 75 mph. So that is what I do here in Montana as I look out my window into 12 inches of new snow and 10 below zero.

You can purchase new Tire Stud Gun at Aerostich catalog for $600 which is the going rate since these tools are considered antiques. Set of Trellborgs are $400-$500 so it is worth it to search out a tire store that has been around for at least 30 years and the older mechanics will know what you are talking about and probably sell you one real cheap. Need and air drill and a special bit in addition to the stud gun.

If there is someone on this link that can post pix I can send them.

• kawidual

Posted January 02, 2004 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the info montana, you can email me some pics if you want & Ill add them
to the thread for you. onone@mindspring.com

Sounds like there are car studs that can last the mileage I would like and handle limited
ice & snow. Doing it yourself sounds a bit pricey with the stud gun. We dont get snow
where I live so there proabaly arent any of those old school shops with the stud guns
near me, but maybe up the hill a bit in the Tahoe area I can find one.... :)

Maybe we can even work out a deal next winter and you can make me a set... :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.