yz426 Piston Slap? *With Video*

1 reply to this topic
  • elitemoto

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:57 PM

hey guys names jordan, im out of ec wisconsin. i traded one of my sport bikes for a 2000 yz426 motard. saturday i got it, she was mechanically sound. no problems, no ticking, no bogging. nothing. so on saturday i brought it home i rode it for about 6.5 hours and just beat the snot out of it. wheelies, endos, dirt trails, killing the streets, you name it i did it.

at the end of the ride i noticed that the bike was getting noisy, very noisy. i only ride kawi zx6r's (636) and they have a notorious kawi tick so im used to loud engines but this was bad.
i brought it straight home and decided to go through it the next morning.

so on sunday i did NOT start it and i just tore the head off to check the valves. brought it to TDC and the valves were within spec. cool right.
no
it didnt start.
checked compression, good
checked spark, good
checked gas, good
long story short ended up being a foul plug.

took her out for a ride after that and she was riding like shit, bogging down and everytime i cranked on the throttle it seemed like it wanted to die. so i brought it back home.

local moto mechanic took a look at it, hes a yami nut huger and has been servicing them for 30+ years. very reputable guy. he says its piston slap but before i drop $300 on a legit kit i wanna make this is it.

so here is where i am at now.

valves: within spec
cam tensioner: good
cam chain seems a bit tight but its in good shape
new plug
i do have hot cams with auto decomp and theyre in time (starts on first kick every time)
oil is good, drained alittle bit of it, no metal shavings and still has some golden color in it so i didnt change it

so i really dont know where to go from here. my supercross buddy who knows just about everything on this bike is out of town till sunday and i just want to ride. i dont know what to look for if i pull off the entire top end so ill wait for my buddy or input here. is it carbs? (it runs worse and worse with each ride) is it piston slap? is it a bad cam chain? would the notorious cb key affect performance?

so recap:
ticking
perfect valves
fouled plug
more ticking
cam tensioner good
new spark plug good
riding gets worse and worse with each ride

Posted Image

click here to see video
Posted Image

Edited by elitemoto, July 02, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riotquiet

Posted July 04, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hi There
Only just joined forum, This sounds to me like cam chain, i wonder if the tensioner & guides are any good, other than that mechanical noise such as bottom end, maybe piston slap, noise travel's top end can often be bottom end, check the cam chain setup, then if no joy it needs to be stripped and inspected,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.