Will the shifting get easier?

13 replies to this topic
  • Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:55 PM

So I took the new '12 wr450 for a small spin after removing the snorkel, muffler insert and the throttle stop screw. But shifting is really tough. The lever is really hard to move thru the gears. Will this hopefully get easier when the bike breaks in? In all of my other bikes this hasn't ever come up before.

• Monk

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:59 PM

Yes, the shifting should get easier....

• Boerboel

Posted July 01, 2013 - 10:25 PM

After my first oil change I noticed neutral was a bit easier to find. Im at ~250 miles now and the shifting hasn't changed much.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted July 02, 2013 - 05:40 AM

My 07 new was hard to shift,after 500 miles easy

• beezer

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:08 AM

Good synthetic oil will make a difference.

• Stealth13

Posted July 02, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Won't get much easier, but you will get used to it the more you ride!

• link65

Posted July 02, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I just have a few rides into my new '13 WR but the shifting did not seem too bad, aside from needing Karnak the Great to find Neutral, but thats getting better. Are you missing shifts or hitting false neutrals? Sometimes on a New bike the shifter position is way off, from the dealer I would have to take my foot off the peg to shift until I adjusted it. Also my street bike is a Buell so I am kind of used to shifting a box with a bunch of rocks in it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 02, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Finding neutral is next to impossible even with the bike off. I will check the shifter position also. The bike hasn't miss shifted.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:34 AM

Be grateful for the shifting, cause it will still be 'tight' and controlled in 400 hours.
Your average KTM sure can't say THAT (aluminum shift drum, to 'save weight'......)

• Stealth13

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:09 AM

Finding neutral is next to impossible even with the bike off. I will check the shifter position also. The bike hasn't miss shifted.

my 2009 gives me no issues finding neutral

• GP1K

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Mine hasn't been hard to shift at all, but it is nearly impossible to find neutral with the bike running. With it off, it's no problem. My bike is still fairly new, hoping it improves some with age and I'll switch to synthetic on the next oil change.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I know I will regret this but what oil and weight are you using? In the past, I've waited maybe 5 riding hours or a few hundred miles before going synthetic.

Edited by Ride-n-Hard, July 04, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

• jksull

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:35 AM

I find going from second to N is a lot easier than 1st to
First to N it will most always skip right over N.

• SAthump

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:51 AM

The norm for these trans, as above 2nd down is my default
It will get better, but on the bright side you'll always have a positive shift, that's comforting to me!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.