cleaning tips

16 replies to this topic
  • yzf_virgin

Posted December 04, 2001 - 12:45 PM

Anyone have any cleaning tips that they would like to share? Favorite products?

• LOOPOUT

Posted December 04, 2001 - 01:04 PM

simple green!!!!

• skthom

Posted December 04, 2001 - 02:33 PM

Simple Green all the way. And biodegradeable too!

I cover the endcap on the muffler and tape up the weep hole on the cylinder, wash up with water and simple green (and a soft brush), then start it up for a couple of passes down the neighborhood afterwards. Then I dry it with a towel, especially the fork tubes which I understand are sensitive to hard water deposits. I also use WD-40 on the chain to displace any water, then use chain lube the next day.

Regards,

Steve T

• therapture

Posted December 04, 2001 - 02:56 PM

AMEN to Simplegreen, that stuff plain ROCKS the house.

Loop turned me on to it, it even removes the red stains caused by good loamy dirt, ala VP Cycleranch :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 04, 2001 - 04:32 PM

Ditto on the simple GREEN.
but...........on top of that..........
rinse then NO TOUCH TIRE CARE!
all over, let set, wipe down w/clean cloth.
Looks like brand new!
hoses/brake cables/plastics/rubber/fender flap/airbox........all look awesome! :) :D

• tuck

Posted December 04, 2001 - 04:48 PM

Simple Green all the way!!!! :)

• elroyona426

Posted December 04, 2001 - 08:39 PM

I like to use castrol super clean...but I probably should be nice and go for the simple green as it's biodegradable. I was unfortunate enough to get some hard water deposits on my fork tubes...any idea on how to get them off???

• jbird

Posted December 05, 2001 - 03:16 AM

I used to use Super Clean and noticed what I thought were hard water stains. The only problem was Super clean was way too harsh and was eating away at the anodized surfaces on my forks, triple clamp, etc. Now I use Simple Green but the damage has been done. Live and Learn!!!

Jon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrracer36

Posted December 05, 2001 - 04:31 AM

Look up there in the driveway!!!
it's a garden hose,
no, it's a pressure washer,
no,... it ... (Herioc music)...SIMPLE GREEN!
able to deissolve dirt with a simple sqiurt.
stops stains with the squeze of a trigger
works faster than a speeding bullet (and causes way less damage)
defender of truth, justice, and the american way .. oh, wait, that last one was superman,...
n-e-ways
simple green is great. gets white plastic white again, removes stubborn dirt. biodegradable. ok smelling.
and crytal simple green works great on plastic. (i can't find it in stores, but i got a free sample squirt bottle and it worked wonders!!!)
and a pressure washer helps.
my $.02...
and if you have any old adhesive from stickers, wd40 and lighter fluid both work to remove it form plastic.
:)

• Sanch

Posted December 05, 2001 - 08:20 AM

Obviously, Simple Green, it's a favorite cause it works. A golf tee in the weep hole works perfectly. Just stick it in there firmly. I too was concerned about the water spots on my forks, so when I'm done and I'm spraying the chain with WD-40, I also hit the forks to displace the water.

• Odie

Posted December 06, 2001 - 04:06 PM

Simple Green is the best. After drying off the bike, I spray WD-40 all over it. Let the WD40 dry for a couple of minutes - then wipe it off. It'll look like you just polished it - real shiney. You can also use silicone or Armor All with similiar results. Now - don't share this with the red or green riders. The orange guys are OK though.

Later,
Odie

• Shawn_Jackson

Posted December 06, 2001 - 05:03 PM

PRO CLEAN 1000 is probably the best stuff out there to clean a bike with. Check out there stuff at www.proclean1000.com.
There stuff works wonders.

• finglan

Posted December 07, 2001 - 10:42 PM

I buy the simple green in a 1 1/2 gal. jug at Auto Zone for about $8.00 I got a bug sprayer from Home Depo for $15.00, the kind that you pump a few times and has a wand. I use it to spray the bike down, it beats pumping that little bottle a million times. The wand lets you spray it in hard to reach spots.

• JohnnyG

Posted December 07, 2001 - 11:34 PM

Best Advice: Get your wife/girlfriend/booty call to unload your bike and wash it.(good luck with that one!).

Lowes & Home Depot sells Simple Green by the gallon too. Good advice on the lawn sprayer.

I usually rub down the bike with a big-ass sponge after the simple green application. If you're gonna buy a power washer....get a gasoline powered one, electric washers pretty much suck.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 09, 2001 - 08:21 AM

COSTCO
simple green $6.25/gal
ditto on sprayer..........i bought some sprayer from schucks that had car wash in it on close out for $1 and just saved it and put 1:3 in it and add just a little dish detergent for suds. Works pretty good. Then dry and spraydown w/NO TOUCH tire care! SPIFFY. Wipe down after 2 or 3min.WOW

• Boit

Posted December 09, 2001 - 04:49 PM

Super Clean has caustic soda as its main ingredient. It has a very high Ph so that's why it leaves spots behind. The caustic is not kind to metals, especially aluminum. Super Clean is not a good choice for an overall bike cleaner, although it is fine for certain areas. It's OK for tires as long as you keep the tires/wheels wet and don't let it stay on for very long. Wesley's Bleche White works great on tires. For cleaning that grime that builds up around the countershaft sprocket, WD-40 works great along with an old tooth brush. It helps if you remove the guard to clean this area. Mother's Metal Polish will get those spots off the forks and is good for polishing the wheels, spokes, and triple clamps. Those motorcycle specfic cleaners work great but they are very expensive. Sam's Club is a good source for buying WD-40 in bulk and Wal Mart sells carb cleaner for 78 cents a can.

• screamin426

Posted December 10, 2001 - 04:02 AM

MAKE SURE NOT TO RIDE THE BIKE AFTER YOU WASH IT UNTIL YOU CHECK THE AIR FILTER,LOTS OF WATER GETS IN THE AIRBOX (EVEN IF YOU TAPE UP THE AIR HOLES)
ALSO, TAKE THE CHAIN OFF AND CLEAN IT IN SOLVENT(OR EQUAL)THEN YOU CAN CLEAN AROUND THE COUNTER SHAFT AND CHAIN GUIDES...WD-40 WORKS GREAT BUT ALONG WITH WAL-MART SELLING CARB CLEAN FOR $.78 THEY ALSO HAVE SPRAY LUBE FOR THE SAME PRICE AND WHITE SPRAY-ON GREASE FOR $1.59.... :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.