Clutch hub question for Holeshot

4 replies to this topic
  • bbeakley

Posted December 04, 2001 - 12:25 PM

Holeshot, been reading your posts on the clutch hub failures and I wanted to ask specifically how do you test for this free play? I had mine apart a few weeks ago for the '01 parts update and played with the clutch boss and felt some free play, but I initially attributed it to taking the slack out of the chain. Would you mind writing how you measured the true amount of free play? Or is it easier just to take the clutch boss off and inspect the splined shaft and mating surfaces if I'm going to have it open anyway? BTW, the washer on my clutch boss was in perfect shape, no distortion on any of the little tabs.

Thanks,
-B

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 04, 2001 - 04:49 PM

I just took my hub out because the steel spine in the casting of the inner hub was flopping around. I ordered a Hinson unit from MR. X @ 800-536-6680 for 249.00 plus shipping. The stock unit is only 140 bucks, but its already failed, so im not doing that again. To check it, pull the clutch plates and put the bike in gear and try to turn it back and fourth the rear wheel on the ground, it shouldnt move. If it does and the retaining nut doesnt move along with it, you got problems. Good luck with that. If its bad, Call mr. X, I researched it, he's the cheapest by quite a bit. Retail on the hinson unit is 285.00 :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • holeshot

Posted December 05, 2001 - 10:40 PM

I think Shawn has explained it. I was able to rotate the hub almost 1/8 of a turn (without the shaft moving) just before mine failed completely. It would also wobble back and forth a bit, causing poor disengagement of the clutch. The washer under the nut should have two prongs that face back into the hub - if these are "flattened" or gone completely, your hub has developed free play.

When it fails, it won't do any damage to any other part, unless it fails when you're launching off the face of a jump, at which time you may have to consider your own body parts. :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted December 05, 2001 - 12:57 PM

I think Holeshots last point is the one that requires the most consideration. Think no power off the face of a jump :D Coming up short on a big double because of that would bend me out of shape, probably literally. :)

• rwcfrank

Posted December 05, 2001 - 01:04 PM

Moose Racing is now making billet hubs for just under $200...my 2 cents..

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.