Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Do they measure the same?

• crash279

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:58 AM

Do they measure the same?

No, the new cam's pin is a lot shorter.

• KennyMc

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I believe mine measured out to 22.98mm and the stock one measured out to 23.48 so the difference was only .5mm. This is measuring from the back of the cam to the top of the pin.

Edited by kenshaw720, July 06, 2013 - 07:40 AM.

• crash279

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was showing some people the cam today and discovered that the pin does in fact move. I'll be sending it off to Hotcams on Monday.

• KennyMc

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:04 PM

how were you showing them and getting it to move as opposed to not getting it to move earlier? What were you doing differently?

• crash279

Posted July 06, 2013 - 06:33 PM

how were you showing them and getting it to move as opposed to not getting it to move earlier? What were you doing differently?

I originally just pressed on the pin the same as if it were contacting the valve bucket.

Today I coincidentally pressed on the back of the pin and it slid forward.

• crash279

Posted July 11, 2013 - 02:55 PM

I sent an email to hotcams technical support and attached a Powerpoint presentation that illustrated the two pins side by side along with one other slide that had pictured both cam part numbers in plain sight. Today I received an email about the box being for a YZ450 cam...like I sent the wrong cam or didn't know what I sent. The part number is etched on the cam! I responded and when I got a response it was "I'll email you later today", but no response after that. This whole experience has been a real eye opener for me. Yes they have helped me out by supporting their product, but in the same sense almost all of the responses that I get are sad attempts to point the finger back at me (like saying it could be my jetting...etc, etc.). I read good things from most other people and I would really love for their cams to work for me, but it's getting to the point that I am not so interested in "hoping" that a brand new out of the box cam will be fixed. I have torn the bike down numerous times dealing with the cam(s) and the only difference between this bike and the several several others that I have done cams in would be the Hotcams.

I am torn between installing a set of OEM YZ450 cams and ebaying the Hotcams or should I hold out and see what happens with this Hotcam?

• stevethe

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I sent an email to hotcams technical support and attached a Powerpoint presentation that illustrated the two pins side by side along with one other slide that had pictured both cam part numbers in plain sight. Today I received an email about the box being for a YZ450 cam...like I sent the wrong cam or didn't know what I sent. The part number is etched on the cam! I responded and when I got a response it was "I'll email you later today", but no response after that. This whole experience has been a real eye opener for me. Yes they have helped me out by supporting their product, but in the same sense almost all of the responses that I get are sad attempts to point the finger back at me (like saying it could be my jetting...etc, etc.). I read good things from most other people and I would really love for their cams to work for me, but it's getting to the point that I am not so interested in "hoping" that a brand new out of the box cam will be fixed. I have torn the bike down numerous times dealing with the cam(s) and the only difference between this bike and the several several others that I have done cams in would be the Hotcams.

I am torn between installing a set of OEM YZ450 cams and ebaying the Hotcams or should I hold out and see what happens with this Hotcam?

Make sure they take it back. It's their mistake not yours.

• crash279

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Well I got the cam back in and the bike even cold started off the electric start and started everytime off the electric start afterwards so this issue has been resolved. Thanks for all the help guys!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted July 19, 2013 - 05:19 AM

I will never buy a hotcam

• KennyMc

Posted July 20, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Well I got the cam back in and the bike even cold started off the electric start and started everytime off the electric start afterwards so this issue has been resolved. Thanks for all the help guys!

This is the Hotcam, right? Let us know your thoughts on the new power delivery.

• crash279

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:06 AM

This is the Hotcam, right? Let us know your thoughts on the new power delivery.

Correct. I finally got one that works as advertised. Though the process leading up to this had me ready to just tell them to forget it and I was gonna ship all the cams that I bought from them back.

In the end, though, I'm thoroughly pleased with the performance. The engine has a great bottom end pull and has a strong pull all the way through the RPMs. The cams also rev much quicker. This was exactly what I was looking for power wise and it was like having a brand new bike! I was riding the lake roads and ran out of gas cause I was having so much fun I didn't even pay attention lol. Luckily there's a reserve and a gas station close by.

I would say, as long as you verify the cam is as it should be before installing, go for it if you're thinking about the hotcams.

Posted Image

Edited by crash279, July 21, 2013 - 09:08 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted July 21, 2013 - 11:13 AM

Correct. I finally got one that works as advertised. Though the process leading up to this had me ready to just tell them to forget it and I was gonna ship all the cams that I bought from them back.

In the end, though, I'm thoroughly pleased with the performance. The engine has a great bottom end pull and has a strong pull all the way through the RPMs. The cams also rev much quicker. This was exactly what I was looking for power wise and it was like having a brand new bike! I was riding the lake roads and ran out of gas cause I was having so much fun I didn't even pay attention lol. Luckily there's a reserve and a gas station close by.

I would say, as long as you verify the cam is as it should be before installing, go for it if you're thinking about the hotcams.

Posted Image

Haha, yep, lesson learned but how many times are we gonna need to replace the cams LOL. I am REALLY pleased with the performance gains with the cams. It revs quicker, pulls harder and longer. Hit 92 on a dirt road out in the desert. Verified with my GPS. I think low to mid 80's was best before. Not that I do that much. Going through whoops in 4th and pinching it and being able to lift the front wheel is great.

Your right though, checking the pin movement and the height at what would be considered during the starter engagement period is crucial. Overall very happy with the performance gains and would do it again.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:57 PM

I just took mine out for a 25 mile dual sport ride, after spending a month chasing issues. My issues was not the decomp pin, mine was fine. It was a bad Needle jet.
I have a very quiet slip on mounted now, so the top end power is down a little bit, but the power overall is very good. Very smooth, easy normal power at small throttle openings, and some serious pull from the mid rpm's up with a tug on the throttle.

• KennyMc

Posted July 23, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Great to hear! Like I said, I have been happy with the performance gains and the extra grunt it has down low. Desert season should be more telling.

• patrick2wd

Posted November 03, 2014 - 09:39 AM

just asking here too, braking into this tread..

does anyone has experience with YZ cams fitting in a WR, but BOTH injection models?

any ideas, thoughts, or where else to look?

thanks, greetings from the low country..

• cracker please

Posted November 03, 2014 - 12:15 PM

All the fuel injected YZs have the new 4 valve backwards motor.

• flyandride

Posted November 03, 2014 - 05:04 PM

I used Hotcams in my 09 and it starts easily with button or kick.  I replaced because the stock auto decompression wasn't working.  It's interesting how much difference there is in the shape of the lobes.  Here's a pic of the intake, stock on the right, HC on left. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3505 copy.JPG

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.