09 WR450 Cam Issue GYTR or Stock YZ?

57 replies to this topic
  • crash279

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:48 AM

I have an '09 WR450 that I have been fighting with for a while now. Actually I have two (same year same everything but cams and wheels), one runs flawlessly and the other not so much. My dual sport has YZ450 cams installed and I couldn't be happier with the bike. My supermoto has gone through two sets of Hotcams and I'm fed up with them. With the stock cams it ran fine, but with the hotcams it's been nothing but trouble. My first issue was with the hotcams the electric start would not spin the engine over and the bike wouldn't idle. I advanced the cam one tooth and the electric start would work, but the bike ran horribly. I sent the cam in and they installed a new decompression pin and said it was good to go. When I re-installed it nothing had improved.

I bought another new set of Hotcams and installed them. Triple checking all of my timing marks and lobe positions. Now the electric start still won't work, but the bike runs a little better. Kickstarting is still difficult compared to all of my other WR's that I've owned.

With that being said, does anybody have any experience with GYTR cams? I would like to hear some feedback either way before I throw more money at this issue or would I be better off with stock YZ450 cams?

• beezer

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I put Hotcams in my 08 WR450 and my bike starts easy now with the e-start.

With YZ cams the bike wouldn't start 1/2 the time. It' would hang out on a compression stroke and you'd have to use the kickstarter.

I didn't even bother with the e-start when the bike was cold.

I don't think it may be the cams causing your bike not to start.

• crash279

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:08 AM

I put Hotcams in my 08 WR450 and my bike starts easy now with the e-start.

With YZ cams the bike wouldn't start 1/2 the time. It' would hang out on a compression stroke and you'd have to use the kickstarter.

I didn't even bother with the e-start when the bike was cold.

I don't think it may be the cams causing your bike not to start.

What else would make it difficult to start?

I kickstart my dual sport initially and then use the hot start along with the electric start and it fires up every time.

Edited by crash279, June 28, 2013 - 09:09 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:01 AM

I had to send my hotcam back to them to install the correct decomp pin. Do not give up on them. Call them. Tell them they installed the wrong decomp pin. They sent mine back and it works better than it did when stock.

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Wait, you say your dual sport has YZ450 cams installed and you couldn't be happier. This is on a '09WR 450? How does the electric start work? It shouldn't work very well.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:21 AM

I never had any luck with YZ cams and the resulting e-start issues. The bikes would run great, the difference in the power delivery with 06' YZ cams was awesome but the e-start never worked well at all....

Does your 09' fire up good with the YZ cams installed?

• beezer

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:22 AM

What else would make it difficult to start?

I kickstart my dual sport initially and then use the hot start along with the electric start and it fires up every time.

My WR did the same thing with the YZ cams. You couldn't fire it up cold with the e-start. With Hotcams it starts all the time with the button.

I'd check with Hotcams.

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:27 AM

My WR did the same thing with the YZ cams. You couldn't fire it up cold with the e-start. With Hotcams it starts all the time with the button.

I'd check with Hotcams.

Correct. It's not supposed to start with the e-start when you use the YZcam. The cam that hot cams sells for the WR is exactly the same cam as the YZ cam so you get the performance increase, but they change out the decomp pin so it releases enough compression to allow the e-start to turn the motor over.

• crash279

Posted June 28, 2013 - 10:44 AM

My dual sport with the yz cams works great. It'll start with the electric start no problem after it's warm.

The hotcam won't even let the engine spin. The old hotcam would start with the electric starter but ran like absolute crap.

• KennyMc

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:12 AM

My dual sport with the yz cams works great. It'll start with the electric start no problem after it's warm.

The hotcam won't even let the engine spin. The old hotcam would start with the electric starter but ran like absolute crap.

If the old hotcam would start but ran like crap, did you retard the timing?

On the dual sport, OEM YZ cams? What year, or are they Hotcams? What part number. When you say YZ cam, do you mean the YZ cam that Hotcam makes for the WR. I think I am confusing myself :-)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Put your stock WR exhaust cam in, but retard it one tooth and mill down the decomp pin. YZ TIMING

How do I know?? I did it last fall and have been enjoying E start and power since..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by n16ht5, June 28, 2013 - 11:23 AM.

• 123devinzz1

Posted June 28, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Never had a problem with my 08 with hotcams as long as the battery was strong.

• crash279

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:48 PM

If the old hotcam would start but ran like crap, did you retard the timing?

On the dual sport, OEM YZ cams? What year, or are they Hotcams? What part number. When you say YZ cam, do you mean the YZ cam that Hotcam makes for the WR. I think I am confusing myself :-)

I messed with the old cam but couldn't get it to work as it should.

On the dual sport I have a set of '06 oem yz450 cams.

• crash279

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Put your stock WR exhaust cam in, but retard it one tooth and mill down the decomp pin. YZ TIMING

How do I know?? I did it last fall and have been enjoying E start and power since..

Posted Image

Posted Image

How did you mill down the decomp. pin? Doesn't retarding the timing throw off the decompression timing?

• KennyMc

Posted June 29, 2013 - 07:57 PM

How did you mill down the decomp. pin? Doesn't retarding the timing throw off the decompression timing?

By milling it down, that's why it doesn't throw off the decomp timing. The how, I think he had a much more detailed thread on that in this forum.

Dam, so you have a set of YZ450 oem cams in the dual sport and without retarding the exhaust cam, the e-start works fine :bonk: I just don't understand this stuff. How can 1 bike work so different than another bike. Maybe that is why I take my stuff to a mechanic, I would probably end up killing myself trying to figure this stuff out on my own. :crazy:

Edited by kenshaw720, June 29, 2013 - 08:02 PM.

• crash279

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:18 PM

I guess my next step is to tear the bike apart and send the exhaust cam back again. I just can't believe that a brand new cam would need to be reworked. I still might buy a set of gytr cams just in case. I'm not very confident with hotcams right now :/.

• n16ht5

Posted June 29, 2013 - 11:00 PM

I used a grinder,, file, and sand paper to mill it down. super easy

• Hurky

Posted June 30, 2013 - 05:58 AM

+1 on these, I also have done this mod some time ago and it worked perfect. I used a Griunder and sandpaper also, finishing with grit 1000 for a perfect smooth surface. One trick is to grind down the opposite side of the decompression pin so that if you don`t like the YZ timing yo can go back by simply sticking the pin the opposite way in and you have everything stock again.

I like the YZ timing, better response and I could not feel any downsides...

Greetz

• stevethe

Posted June 30, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Hum if you use Web cam they start with a WR cam core problem solved. They know not to use a YZ core in a WR too many call backs.

• KennyMc

Posted June 30, 2013 - 07:49 AM

I guess my next step is to tear the bike apart and send the exhaust cam back again. I just can't believe that a brand new cam would need to be reworked. I still might buy a set of gytr cams just in case. I'm not very confident with hotcams right now :/.

They don't rework the cam. They have multiple decomp pins to choose from. It is a manual process to install the decomp mechanism. They f'd up and put the wrong pin/mechanism in. The cam is perfectly fine. They will just install the correct decomp pin. That is what they did for me and I have had no problem since.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.