Worn out crank: do you get bronze 'dust' in the oil when the thrust washers go out?

8 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 02:55 PM

....like with the CRF's ?

• camman

Posted June 27, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yes

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes

Thanks.

• JDLowrance

Posted June 27, 2013 - 06:30 PM

You got bronze dust in your oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:18 PM

You got bronze dust in your oil?

Didn't last time, but I have very LOUD howl coming from the motor.
It's impossible to locate, and could just be the gigantic skid plate, which will come off when I do the oil change, so I can kill two stones with one bird.

• JDLowrance

Posted June 28, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Think you might have to admit you shot yourself in the foot when you didn't rebuild the crank/bottom end bearings when you had the motor torn apart.

I'd say I told you so but that just wouldn't be right...hope you get it fixed up for less rather than more.

I should be back in the states end of July.....we have to hook up for another ride! It's OK if you have to ride the Honda.

Sorry, I've had a few pints...I think I'm being funny!

Edited by JDLowrance, June 28, 2013 - 03:31 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2013 - 05:10 AM

Think you might have to admit you shot yourself in the foot when you didn't rebuild the crank/bottom end bearings when you had the motor torn apart.

I'd say I told you so but that just wouldn't be right...hope you get it fixed up for less rather than more.

I should be back in the states end of July.....we have to hook up for another ride! It's OK if you have to ride the Honda.

Sorry, I've had a few pints...I think I'm being funny!

The oil removed from the bike when I rebuilt the top end had zero evidence of crank wear.
The crank had no play in it.
The last oil change had no bronze dust in it.

So, I'm not sure exactly how I shot myself in the foot...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 28, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Oil was fine.
Filter was fine.
Skid plate was not fine; it sings like a year of American Idle rejects....
I damped the crap out of it, and re-installed it, and it's 50% better. I can now hear the valve train clacking away, which is more what I am used to....

• JDLowrance

Posted June 28, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yep, some of the noise you get out of the bottom end with alloy skid plates can be a bit disturbing. I run the Acerbis plastic plate with open cell foam to avoid it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.