2014 yz450f first ride by mxa!

14 replies to this topic
  • bobdirt

Posted June 27, 2013 - 01:49 PM

http://motocrossacti...-YOU-10243.aspx

• bobdirt

Posted June 27, 2013 - 04:40 PM

that ecklund guy looks like he's riding a whipmaster 6000 or something! said still feels skatey??? I bet it will be a great bike!

Edited by BHD451, June 27, 2013 - 04:58 PM.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:30 PM

The most telling comment he made was that it feels a lot like the old bike. We'll see.

• rbernard35

Posted June 28, 2013 - 03:31 AM

Yeah , dirt rider sort of said the same thing, front end skates, kind of hard to set up etc... Hardly a ringing endorsement

• bobdirt

Posted June 28, 2013 - 06:52 PM

setup is key for yamahas once you get it all you need to do is put tires on it, always new tires that's the big part of the yz legacy haha.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 28, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Maybe but I've spent enough time on my 12 now and more or less have adapted to it. You don't realize how odd the handling is until you hop on something else and realize how much effort the YZ requires to ride. I took my buddy's 13 RM on a short loop when it was brand new and man, that thing is a razor. No setup, soft fork and way too much sag and it still felt great. My first thought was, man this dude is gonna kill me in the corners. Now I know the bikes are on opposite ends of the spectrum but the strong points of the YZ aren't really enough to counterbalance the areas where it's weak. My 08 wasn't great in the corners either but it was freight train stable. Don't get me wrong, the YZs not bad really, just not great. I hoped the 14 would be great.

• Troutman

Posted June 29, 2013 - 03:04 AM

A little more in-depth review

http://v.vitalmx.com...7--standard.mp4

Sounds like a good bike...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobdirt

Posted June 29, 2013 - 04:59 AM

thanks for that review video! I dunno man they aren't saying that its all that good! motor pops, doesn't settle, turns good in really tight corners. im on the fence about it. I really was thinking about getting this bike at the end of the season but im really second guessing doing that and just grabing another kx450. I know what the kx450 is since I own a 09 and I like it the way its set up but I was hoping to get on a Yamaha and like it more. mahybe 2015 then lol

• Troutman

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:27 AM

thanks for that review video! I dunno man they aren't saying that its all that good! motor pops, doesn't settle, turns good in really tight corners. im on the fence about it. I really was thinking about getting this bike at the end of the season but im really second guessing doing that and just grabing another kx450. I know what the kx450 is since I own a 09 and I like it the way its set up but I was hoping to get on a Yamaha and like it more. mahybe 2015 then lol

Yeah I hear you, I am really thinking about getting it as well as I have ridden an 02, 06, and currently a 10 YZ450F for the past 11 years without any mechanical issues, which amazes me. I still think its early and will wait until the shoot-outs and feedback of TT members who get one for the good info. I hope it's a good bike because I love the reliability, centralization of mass, and suspension of the YZ's but a KX, RM, or KTM may be in my future if it has serious handling issues. But the reviewers sounded very positive overall and no bike is perfect so time will tell.

Edited by Troutman, June 29, 2013 - 06:39 AM.

• stroker101

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:36 AM

hoping to get a 2014 YZ450F soon. it's very difficult to find another bike that is so dependable. the only other bike i may consider would be a KTM 350

Edited by stroker101, June 29, 2013 - 06:38 AM.

• Troutman

Posted June 29, 2013 - 06:52 AM

hoping to get a 2014 YZ450F soon. it's very difficult to find another bike that is so dependable. the only other bike i may consider would be a KTM 350

Agreed, IMHO the YZF's are hands down the most dependable MX bikes on the market by far. I hate to admit it but i still don't know how to perform a valve adjustment because i have never had the need to do one over the past decade riding blue.

With my top 3 priorities being,

1) Reliability
2) Suspension
3) Handling

The YZF's have been a great fit for me over the years and it would be a very very tough decision to make the jump to a different brand.

• rr558

Posted June 29, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I was hoping it would be a lot better but if it has the same front end problem then I'll stick with Honda or Suzuki. As far as the reliability issues you guys have with other brands that's kind of non existent now a days. I do like that it's smaller though. I actually like the 09 yz with 22mm clamps much better than 11 so maybe look for a clean one.

• zeuszuki

Posted June 29, 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm waiting for the "shoot outs" with some decent riders and a stop watch . That will reveal what's going on.

• SparksXR426

Posted June 29, 2013 - 09:40 PM

This bike has a new frame and motor. I was personally was hoping to hear that it feels nothing like the old bike and that it felt awesome. That'd be interesting. If one of the first things guys say is that it has the same traits as the old bike its disappointing.

• bobdirt

Posted June 30, 2013 - 09:59 AM

yea im sorta thinking im going to keep my bike another year and hope they tweek it a little more, or im going to stay with kawi see what they come out with for 15. my 09kx450 is great I have it setup nice. I don't want to down grade if this bike isn't as good as what I got.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.