2003 YZ450F - primary drive gear nut backed off - why?

3 replies to this topic
  • smokingtz

Posted June 26, 2013 - 06:32 PM

found my metal in oil problem in my 450. The primary drive gear nut backed totally off despite having a lockwasher. the washer was split. also found a a loose circlip. the end of the crank is slightly scored but otherwise the threads are ok. Looking at the manual the crank goes to what looks like a boss that goes to the oil filter cavity. Is there a seal in that boss? My cover is a bit chewed up and I'm not sure if I'm missing something else there. Not sure why this would happen considering a lockwasher. Any thoughts?

• Geoffit

Posted June 27, 2013 - 05:26 AM

The later models went to a heavy spring washer under that nut if you replace the nut and washer with the standard parts put some locktite on the threads for a back up. There is a seal in the clutch cover behind the snap ring you found. If that situation is not obvious then you probably need a new cover. Also look at the clutch basket the gear was probably rubbing like a grinder on the outer rim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smokingtz

Posted July 02, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Had to buy a another inner clutch cover. Ground down where crank seal is. If i can get a new nut to thread on the crank end it should be fixable- thanks

• smokingtz

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:02 PM

Fixed. There wasn't much metal in the oil tank screen and after running it for 5 minutes the oil filter looked pretty good too. Changed the filter and now am ready to go. Thanks for the help TT.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.