2012 WR450F Low Fuel Light

4 replies to this topic
  • Corkster

Posted June 26, 2013 - 05:58 PM

I have removed my OEM speedo and replaced it with a Trailtech Vapor to get rid of the huge speedo cable and also get RPMs. Having done that, my low fuel light seems to have automatically become the ignition light which is OK - except I no longer have a low fuel indicator. Has anyone found a solution yet?

• MReyes

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Bump this thread. Was thinking I'd keep both the stock computer and just add the vapor as the speedo is separate and can tap power separately. I'd mount the Vapor to the new top clamp from Highway Dirt Bikes and would fit above the stock computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted July 15, 2013 - 09:08 PM

i just installed the voyager on my 2013. in reading the owners manual i see that any engine trouble codes that might be displayed show up on the clock part of the oem dig display.
with that in mind and also knowing that with the way the stock speedo sensor is wired will trigger a code 41 speed sensor error if the stock speedometer cable was removed. so i opted to leave the stock computer in place.
i actually made 2 brackets out of aluminum and moved the stock speedo unit forward and up a little, it nearly touches the head shell.
the voyager computer mounts to my riser clamps with the GPR steering stabilizer which raised the handle bars up about .75 inches.
now i have a complete digital dash so to speak, it looks a little overkill but at least i have everything working, and no malfunctions or lights.
love the voyager, keep an eye on the volts, temps, speeds, time of tay and of course some kind of navigation, i decided i don't need a lot, just a general direction of where i started and how to get back quickly if i run low on gas.
only thing i need to do next is install a neutral indicator light. i have a tough time finding it sometimes.

i wish the ignition switch was a little easier to reach and the CEL was a little higher so i could see it better. the brake cable gets in the way of the lights and the low fuel but i can see it just by adjusting my view a little.

• MReyes

Posted July 16, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Excellent info Bass Mechanic. Good to know I'm not the only crazy one thinking of leaving in original display and adding new Trail Tech. I'm looking to get that Neutral Light in the TT Dashboard as well. I know where it starts (left side, bottom of engine) but haven't found the other end yet to wire in the light. If you locate it, can you let us know and what you did to wire in? Thanks!

• Bass Mechanic

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Excellent info Bass Mechanic. Good to know I'm not the only crazy one thinking of leaving in original display and adding new Trail Tech. I'm looking to get that Neutral Light in the TT Dashboard as well. I know where it starts (left side, bottom of engine) but haven't found the other end yet to wire in the light. If you locate it, can you let us know and what you did to wire in? Thanks!

i am not planning to use the trail tech dash thingy, i just want to go to radio shack and buy a green LED with load resistor already included so it works on 12v.
they make a little holder assembly that can be mounted in a panel (a hole in a peice of metal) i plan to just make a simple bracket with a hole to mount it near the check engine light.
looking at the schematic all you need to do is locate the 2 wires to the neutral switch. 1 side is ground and the other side grounded when the switch is active. you just need to wire the + side to the ignition so it only comes on when the ignition is on and the other to the switched side of the Neutral switch. the end of the wire goes right up to the gas tank on the left side buried behind another connector. have to remove the fuel tank to get to it.

i also want to locate some wires that i can use to install a beeper under the left side rear number plate to let me know I've left the ignition on when the engine is not running! i hate that i keep forgetting to turn it off!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.