Clutch Trouble

11 replies to this topic
  • hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Im having trouble w my clutch on my 426 can u help. I just replaced my fibers an my springs. Steels were good an old fibers were still good. Found old springs were some of the problem. I replaced the clutch cable. With all of this done my cable adjusters are still fully extended out with no more adjustment left and i dont hve enough clutch?

Edited by hillbilly dirt racing, June 26, 2013 - 01:47 PM.

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted June 26, 2013 - 03:21 PM

sounds like you lost the steel ball bearing that resides at the end of the push rod that lifts the pressure plate. Need more info though, like grayracer said.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2013 - 03:56 PM

When you say, "don't have enough clutch", do you mean that you have too much free play (you should have 3mm) at the lever, or that the clutch drags, pulls at idle when in gear, etc.?

• hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 27, 2013 - 06:29 AM

Both of my adjustments at clutch lever and at the motor are fully extended out. Im still able to ride but 5th gear slips. It feels like its surging when i give it throtle. Keep in mind i just replace the fibers springs an cable. After doing all that the only parts i found bad was the springs. When i squeeze my lever it feels like a worn clutch

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Do you have any free play at the lever?

• hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Yeah. Too much!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:12 AM

Too much play and a slipping clutch don't correlate. Excessive play will keep it from disengaging completely when you pull the lever. Too little, or no play will cause a clutch to slip.

If the bike is surging or jerking only in 5th, and you can make the problem come and go just by going over or under a certain amount of throttle, it's the transmission, not the clutch. The 3rd and 5th speed pinions (gears on the main shaft) have worn out locking lugs on them and they are forcing themselves apart under load, making the bike jump out and back into gear. This will also have bent the #2, or center, shift fork.

• hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:03 PM

assuming the 5th gear is bad. Y is my clutch so far out of adjustment. With all tje new part i would think that i wood have plenty of adjustment at my lever and at the base of the motor

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Remember when the first response asked you if you left out the ball between the two pushrods?

What brand of plates did you use?

What year is your 426?

• hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 27, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Used a factory clutch an i i leaned my bike on its side so nothing would fall out. Its a 2000.

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:40 PM

OK, so the bike did not originally have a ball between the two rods, anyway. That started in '01. If they were factory plates, do you still have the bag or box they came in? Curious to see if someone substituted a part number for a later model. Part number of the clutch cable would help, too.

• hillbilly dirt racing

Posted June 29, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Im gonna pull my clutch apart tomorrow and do a thorough inspection. What could make my 5th gear go bad? It doesnt take alotta abuse?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.