2014 yz450f Anyone got one yet?

51 replies to this topic
  • YHGEORGE

Posted August 06, 2013 - 12:13 PM

MXKyle, what is your front tire choice? Thanks.

• nicky-san

Posted August 06, 2013 - 04:18 PM

My last 5 bikes were CRF 450 ('02 '04 '06 '07 '10) the last one with a full Yosh,hot cam stage 2 and Eddie remap so the new yzf 450 14 is harder to adapt to than anticipated however I can say the following:
Suspension is a dream
Clutch is also a dream and takes longer to fade
Brakes are better
Motor is linear but a little dull and not snappy, definitively needs help at higher RPM
Ergonomics:more difficult to grab the bike with legs as there is less surface area

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 06, 2013 - 04:59 PM

My last 5 bikes were CRF 450 ('02 '04 '06 '07 '10) the last one with a full Yosh,hot cam stage 2 and Eddie remap so the new yzf 450 14 is harder to adapt to than anticipated however I can say the following:
Suspension is a dream
Clutch is also a dream and takes longer to fade
Brakes are better
Motor is linear but a little dull and not snappy, definitively needs help at higher RPM
Ergonomics:more difficult to grab the bike with legs as there is less surface area

But not one word about handling. I think everyone wants to know what happens when you go to stuff that front end into a turn, especially a flat one. I can do anything with the susp and engine, it is the geometry/frame thing I wonder about.

• nicky-san

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Sorry YHGEORGE ,door bell rang & posted too fast ......

Handling: a dichotomy --- harder to initiate turns , but once initiated , if you are leaning toward the front end properly ,you can do what you want -- e.g cut the inside or rail the outside better than a CRF ....difficult to explain in word , you have to set up the turn properly and trust the bike will follow which it always did except one endo where I was too far to the back and not leaning forward enough........lesson learned.....Compared to the CRF it is a far less aggressive geometry so you have to preplan the turn a little earlier until it gets embedded in your DNA .Will probably take me another 5-10 hrs at which point I will forget about it.

Also related to handling & motor-- there is much more engine braking than I am used too - first moto I was coming slightly short on jumps because I used to chop the throttle a little earlier on jump faces ....

And consequently , this motor compression feeds back head shake when chopping the throttle hard from high RPM ....something to get used too. Surprising the first few times......then you adapt

as to the 'ligthweight' feel , it feels a little heavier & bulkier than my CRF but at the same time, less tiring after a long moto probably a combo of stable /neutral handling and linear motor output

I loaned it to a friend coming of a Yzf 450 2010 equipped with a PC link and dr D lowering engine kit and he felt the handling was much improved if this can be a better reference point

That being said , Am very happy with the switch but looking at giving it some zest at high RPM with pipe and remapping and guidance from MXA to optimize the geometry/ set-up. I think I am faster on it and can last longer but at the same time, the experience is less dramatic and less rushed than my previous ultra nervous bike

• MXKyle

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:43 AM

MXKyle, what is your front tire choice? Thanks.

I've been running the Dunlop D952 for a while on both my other bikes and really like it in all conditions.  Since I am familiar with how they work I put one on the 2014.  For me that takes away at least one question mark during the tribulations of finding a happy bike setup. 

I noticed on the test ride that Cyclenews just did on the 2014 YZ250F that they described the front tire as packing up in loose dirt and letting go.  That is exactly how mine felt.  I wonder if they have the same front tire as the 450.  I'm guessing so.  Makes me feel better about the bike already but I will know for sure on Saturday when I hit the track again.

--KT--

• mxboy2661

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:57 AM

i just saw the white 14 yz450 at my dealer, i gotta admit its bad ass looking. i know yams are built like Sherman tanks, but my current bike is the best bike ive ever owned a 13 450sxf, with full ohlins, and yosh exhaust. i race vet 25A/30A, the hardest thing to give up would be the electric start. imo, every 4 stroke needs it lol!i know yamis have taken alotta shit the last few years,but i road a 13 withenzo suspension, and it was pretty nice. if anything imo, the crf from 09-13 are the biggest piles i ve ever ridden.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocket416

Posted August 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM

2014 yz450 ride report:

I was able to spin about 8 laps on one today and was very impressed. I was focusing mostly on the turning habits of the bike and it never did anything out of the ordinary. Turned better than my 2012 yz250f. The power was very broad and did not have any noticeable hit. I liked it a lot and don't think it would tire you out over a long moto. Over jumped a few jumps and flat landed but the suspension soaked it right up. I did manage to stall it coming into a tight corner, clicked it in neutral and it fired right up on the first half hearted kick. I also noticed that it is very quiet and the muffler is huge. I bet a slip on is gonna be an easy way to drop a couple of pounds. I'm 170# int. rider. My 250f is now for sale!

• delmas

Posted August 11, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Rode my 2014 today first time and love it Front is planted and turns  great. The power is awsome. the MSO states  58.7 horsepopwer and it feels like it.the only neg. is the seat it sucks but I hope new foam will help.

• MxSkater86

Posted August 12, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I've been riding my 14 for about a month now and I am in love with the bike. Just for reference I never had a 10-13, I had an 08 yz 450.

The suspension is probably the best suspension you can get. I only weigh 150 so I swapped front and rear springs and it seems even better. I'm having trouble with bottoming but I think I just need to add a little bit of oil in each fork.

As for the turning, It feels good. Not as amazing as a Suzuki but definitely better than my 08 by a large margin. I've been noticing that I need to keep the forks farther down in the triple clamps than I normally do to reduce the sharp cuts in long sweeping turns. But the bike is very predictable all the way through the turn.

I really noticed a difference in the weight. I believe they said the bike weighed the same as last years but to me the bike feels a lot lighter, in the air and on the ground. I can throw this bike anywhere I want it.

And last but not least, the motor. This is my first EFI bike so that in itself makes it awesome. Every now and then the bike would stall in some corners and I had a little popping on the top end of the bike. So I ordered a Power Tuner and added a little fuel to the top of the curve and all that went away. The power is very crisp but it doesn't rip the bike out of your arms. the power curve seems very linear and keeps pulling even up in the higher rpms.

• motoscotty

Posted August 18, 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have about 4 hours on mine now and really like it. I came from a 12 Honda 450.
I feel more comfortable on the Yamaha, it just fits me better I think it's a little bigger.
The power is really strong in comparison and the extra weight is used to it's advantage. I know it will be problem free, the Honda does turn better but it is a never ending project keeping it in one piece.

I'm super stoke on my 2014 Yamaha!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MXKyle

Posted August 19, 2013 - 04:27 AM

I've been running the Dunlop D952 for a while on both my other bikes and really like it in all conditions.  Since I am familiar with how they work I put one on the 2014.  For me that takes away at least one question mark during the tribulations of finding a happy bike setup. 

I noticed on the test ride that Cyclenews just did on the 2014 YZ250F that they described the front tire as packing up in loose dirt and letting go.  That is exactly how mine felt.  I wonder if they have the same front tire as the 450.  I'm guessing so.  Makes me feel better about the bike already but I will know for sure on Saturday when I hit the track again.

--KT--

Well, it's not the tire.  That was wishful thinking on my part.  It's been wet here in Central Florida so I'm having to ride in somewhat loose and slick conditions.

I changed tires but the front end of the bike was still letting go when pushed hard in the turns.  The suspension felt sooooo good that I had a hard time forcing myself to start adjusting on the forks but that's what it really needed.  The initial stroke was plush and would let me dive into the turn but as it compressed more it would push if I wasn't in a solid berm.  I spent all day adjusting and found that by softening the compression four clicks and slowing the rebound by one I now have a bike that sticks in the turns.  I now don't have to entirely rely on having a good berm and can aggressively attack the turns taking about any line I want.  In other words I started having fun! 

I was a little worried about the handling before but now I can see that the bike just needs a little adjusting.   I'm sold, this is a great package!     

--KT--

• hostile silence

Posted August 21, 2013 - 09:08 AM

best bike ive ever ridden... install a rekluse core exp, good to go... i turn a little too quick on my 14, due to being used to the 2010 yz450. it is powerful, turns great, suspension sucks everything up really well, starts easily... best bike ive ever owned

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.