07 YZ450F shifter install problem

1 reply to this topic
  • beanster

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm looking for some help. I blew up my street legal 07 YZ450F and I'm in the middle of rebuilding it, new crank kit, piston kit, cylinder, valve kit, cam chain and tensioner and counterbalancer bearings. I've reassembled the cases and I'm installing the shifter segment.

My problem is that without the shifter segment installed I can rotate the shift drum through all five gears like butter but when I install the shifter segment and then the shift shaft I can't get the shift drum to rotate through all five gears consistently. I am rotating the transmission shafts while trying to shift to get rid of any interference from the gears. It just doesn't seem to be indexing properly. I don't have the neutral switch installed but I have been pushing on the shift drum from the left side while I check the shifting action.

I don't want to continue reassembling until I'm confident the shifting is correct.

Anyone have advice for me?

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2013 - 10:09 AM

The segment has to sit on an alignment pin in the end of the cam in order to be correctly indexed. If you misalign this, and tighten it, it can become pushed in flush and not be removable.

• beanster

Posted June 24, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I have taken it off reinstalled it several times now, taking care to align it with the pin. If I take off the stopper spring lever it shifts fine

I had no prior problems with the transmission before disassembly

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.