426 cranks

2 replies to this topic
  • etuke

Posted June 23, 2013 - 06:22 AM

I sold a buddy a 2001 yz426 and after about 10 rides he lost the big end bearing.He went to have all the parts ordered to get it fixed and the Yamaha dealer here told him if he had know he was buying a 426 he would have told him to stay clear as the crank failure is a common problem with these bikes.Is this true with the 426's?I haven't heard anything about bad cranks in the 426.We are in the process of rebuilding the bike and I even offered to pay for some of the parts,plus I'm doing all the work for free.I had allways used the yamalube 20w/50 in the bike but when I bought the 450 I started to use mobile 1 mx4t so my buddy started also,it was on his first oil change that the bike failed.I doubt the oil caused the problem but the Yamaha dealer told him not to use synthetic oil in the bike,I think the dealer here is full of it but wanted you guys thoughts on his comments.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • un chained

Posted June 27, 2013 - 07:22 AM

I have run semi synthetic Valvoline "ATV" 10w/40 with no issues thus far on my 02 426. I have never heard of any serious defects or issues with the 426's and I doubt the Mobil oil change is why it failed as well...

• grayracer513

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Whoever told you not to run synthetic oil should never be asked for advice of any kind, ever again.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.