2007 wr450f left side drain bolt



25 replies to this topic
  • 123devinzz1

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:34 PM

#21

no joke, the 1 helicoil kit I bought for another vehicle, cost me $30. the dealer said "depending upon how complicated it is, it could take 1 to 1.5 hrs"

I think the job could be done in 5-15 mins

 

This is the kit i got off this seller. I already had the drill bit. lots of permanent locktite when installing and use a pair of skinny needle nosed pliers to snap the little tab off and pull out.



  • GASKICKER

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:47 PM

#22

This is the kit i got off this seller. I already had the drill bit. lots of permanent locktite when installing and use a pair of skinny needle nosed pliers to snap the little tab off and pull out.

what about JB welding the helicoil? that would be "permanent" wouldnt it?

 

I am concerned about getting that tang off, that last thing i need to be doing is cracking the case to find that.



  • 123devinzz1

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:56 PM

#23

what about JB welding the helicoil? that would be "permanent" wouldnt it?

 

I am concerned about getting that tang off, that last thing i need to be doing is cracking the case to find that.

 

forgot the link.. http://www.ebay.com/...547148a&vxp=mtr

 

if you break the tang off you can put on of those magnet grabbers down the dip stick hole. And if you cant get then youl have to take off left engine cover. I wasnt sure if the jb weld would bond to the threads but loctite seems to be doing the trick. Since the bolt is oiled it doesnt really take much turning force to thread out. I think my bottom oil filter cover bolt is getting bad now so Il have to order another heli coil kit  :thumbsup: I guess the aluminum threads wear out or loose strength cause im not over torquing them.



Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GASKICKER

Posted August 28, 2013 - 07:24 PM

#24

so tonight I decided to helicoil it; I did it as you all suggested....red loctite and all. tomorrow I will properly torque the plug and fill it up with oil. It was nerve racking, but it is now finished and upon a trial run of the plug in the threads, looks like it worked. BTW the small needle nose didnt quite work getting the tang off; I lassoed it with safety wire and guess what? it didnt come out but had broken off.....a good compressor blow thru the fill hole and it came flying out :)
thanks to all who provided helpful info.

Edited by GASKICKER, August 30, 2013 - 09:01 AM.


  • GASKICKER

Posted August 29, 2013 - 04:20 PM

#25

filled it up with oil tonight, cleaned everything off again and no leaks at all....pretty pleased with how it turned out



  • 123devinzz1

Posted August 30, 2013 - 05:43 AM

#26

filled it up with oil tonight, cleaned everything off again and no leaks at all....pretty pleased with how it turned out


Glad it worked out for ya!

Couple pics i had on my phone.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377870178.163543.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1377870201.959423.jpg

Yes i cleaned the bike after!




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.