Tragic News At SpeedWorld........

49 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 03, 2001 - 12:17 PM

Gman,
Sorry to hear of the tragedy.
I just went through a similar but TOTALLY different. I have not raced since APR because of my mom being sick and finally passing on. The last race of the year was on 4NOV01........hare n hound. I wanted to get out there and prove to myself that I could still do it and be succesful!
We started European style.(class by class 1min intervals/3classes per row) My friend started 1 row in front of me and had come up to me about 2min b4 his row started and wished me luck and we exchanged the usual handshake and BE SAFE OUT THERE! On the second loop about halfway thru , which was about the 48mile mark, I came up on him starting his bike. His KTM380 had exploded in the previous race and he decided to ride his Husaberg 4str. He was not used to it and was having trouble with getting in rythm all day. I stopped to see if he was ok and he was mad that I was wasting time and should "get my A in gear!" After we left the sand dune area we came to some dry lake beds and having to cross from on to the other. In essence there were "islands" that seperated them that were only 100-300yds then bak to the lake beds. Each and every race I "HEAR" things while I am out there but NEVER turn around.(safety and superstition) I heard or at least heard something for about 1 mile. Then it was gone. I was in a groove and really packin'....passing ppl left and right. All the sudden I did not hear the background noise anymore. I got back to the finish and saw my friends fiance' and just realized that he had not passed me. I was kinda' proud of myself because he is a faster rider. I figured I was just cookin' and felt like I had riddden good. I assured her that he was just having problems starting the HUSSY.
When I got back home I found out that he had broken his femur because of his brand new CTi2's.
At the hospital I tried to get out of him what had happened but he was still on Morphine.
From what he could remember he was trying to pass someone but having a hard time. He evidently was trying to pass ME across the flats and when he came up on me we were approaching one of those islands and he couldn't shut it down quick enough , hit a mound around a sage and kicked him over the bars. His leg must have gotten snapped when he nosed in. Good thing for those CTi's. A femur is repairable and a knee is pretty much history when something major like that happens. They made him get out of bed and walk the next day with no cast and only a plate and screws! OUCH!
Anyway, I know this is not even compaired to your sorrows , but my point is this.......He assured me it was NOT my fault! numerous times.
But I still replay this at least 3 or 4 nites a wk in my dreams to try to remember if I caused it????!!!
The bottom line is we both knew the risks and we both were doing what we LOVE! 2wheels!
God Bless
Don't beat yourself up.
G4

• G-Man

Posted December 03, 2001 - 01:22 PM

You guys are the greatest and I feel so lucky to have the support from you. With all the bs the Internet can bring on it's times like this that show how great it can be. Without it I would not have the support from you, as I would have never met you guys. Some I have met in person and some not, but like I told my Girlfriend today, "now you know why I spend so much time on the 'Net', because you guys are like my brothers...." I have sat here and read your guys replies over and over and I am not ashamed to say most of the time I have been sobbing. My buddy Jimco, his sister Kathi have read them too, and cried also. Cheryl (Marks g/f) who was there and at his side along with his loving family at the hospital just came over. I told her about this post and all the kind-hearted replies you guys have sent. She requested I print it out to give to his family. They have requested for Mark to be an organ donor so he will save lives of others and live on. This is what Mark would have wanted as he was a giving type of person. Not only will I miss his great friendship but also the great times we had racing each other. Never in my life have I had such a close competitor week in and week out, and no matter what happened on the track we were great friends off the track and shook each others hand every time, cracked a beer and benched race for hours afterward. My friends would say "there could be 20+ riders on the track, but it was always Mark and you like we were connected".

I will miss you Mark and riding/racing will never be the same for me, but your spirit will be with me brother, I Love You......

Gary

• BikeDestroyer

Posted December 03, 2001 - 01:54 PM

G-Man,

I don't even know what to say. I was out there when that happened. We didn't realize it was so serious until the chopper came. I really feel for everyone involved with Mark's life, I know it has to be a difficult time.
I am sure Dan M. will probably have some sort of memorial/benefit deal for Mark in the near future to help his family out. I'm sure that would be nice. I know Dan was pretty shook up about the whole thing. Speedworld has been in existance for 6 years and has never had a tragedy like this.

Godspeed Mark

Family & Friends are in my prayers!!

Brenda

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 03, 2001 - 03:15 PM

My best wishes to yourself and everyone involved. Mark knows that you and your buds only wanted to have a good time like so many times in the past. We all crash eventually, some crashes are worse than others. If we ride with our friends then that means that sooner or later we're going to share a crash with a friend. Unfortunately this was a bad crash which involved two good people who happened to be friends. You have no reason to blame yourself so don't beat yourself up.

• RichB

Posted December 03, 2001 - 05:07 PM

I am so very sorry to hear about this tragic incident. Godspeed to Mark, I'm sure he's up in heaven getting all the holeshots.

G, don't blame yourself. It was just a freak thing and like so many others have said, he was doing what he loved, and doing it with people that he loved.

Take care and sympathies to the family.

• yzernie

Posted December 03, 2001 - 05:24 PM

G-man,

I want to say from a previous converstaion we had that Mark was a member of the Az-OTMX....is that correct?? Please let me know so I can advise our local So. Cal. chapters.

I have thought about you since I posted this morning. Again, I cannot imagine your hurt at loosing a friend. Please do not blame yourself as we cannot always control life's destiny.

My father passed away almost 22 years ago and not a day goes by that he doesn't enter my thoughts. That is a part of being human.....caring for our loved ones and friends.

Remember all of the fun and good times you have had with Mark and that will help to heal your broken heart.

Ernie

• G-Man

Posted December 03, 2001 - 05:50 PM

yzearnie,
yes Mark was a member of the AZOTMX, and we are trying to set up a memorial fund for the family and a memorial ride at SpeedWorld this weekend.

Thx again,

Gary

• F-Pilot

Posted December 03, 2001 - 06:00 PM

Godspeed Mark.
Even though I only briefly knew him it was easy to see what a good friend he could be. I sit here now picturing him kicked back in a chair in the pits, benchracing and smiling about the great race him and Gary just had.
God bless Gary, Cheryl, Mark's family and friends

Gary, always here for you, call me if I can help in any way.
Bob

• Wild_Bill

Posted December 03, 2001 - 07:51 PM

G-Man

My condolences to Mark's family and you and yours. As many others in this forum have already posted, it was NOT your fault. We have risks in our lives every day even when not riding. At least Mark was doing what he loved when this tragedy occured. You should continue riding as I'm sure he would expect you to do(he probably would do the same if he were in your shoes).

God Bless and God Speed

Bill

• Psycho426

Posted December 03, 2001 - 10:07 PM

My condolences to Mark's Family and to you.

Posted Image

May God be with your and Mark's family through these tough times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • armourbl

Posted December 04, 2001 - 05:53 AM

What can one say.... I too was there that day, but had left before the pro race. I didn't know Mark, but yet couldn't sleep last night, burdened by both shock and grief.

Godspeed Mark...

G-Man, the members of this board are a very special group of people. I haven't been here long, but know I can speak for everyone when I say...if there is anything we can do, you let us know!

Ben

• motoxracer_191

Posted December 04, 2001 - 12:52 PM

I am very sorry to hear this and especially to a motorcycle enthusiast.My prayers go out to his family.

• mxaddict

Posted December 04, 2001 - 03:17 PM

Gary,

Having recently lost a close friend and my grandfather, I have sat here crying since I read your first post. I am so, so sorry for you and his family, I know how painful it is. I will pray for you all, that God will give you his peace, and be with you as He welcomes your friend home.

God bless you.

Brandon

• skthom

Posted December 04, 2001 - 03:46 PM

G-man -

Very sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident. As with the other posts, know that we feel your pain.

My Regards and Condolences,

Steve Thompson

• Ga426owner

Posted December 04, 2001 - 07:03 PM

G-Man, this topic scares the hell out of me... this is what I face as well as the other racer want to be's like me that face every weekend of racing for us amatures/mid-pro level riders. This truely touches me. I do not have insurance to protect myself, my body... what if some one steps off there bike in mid air like you did...not your fault - but sometimes fate has it as so many described here...This is truely racing...it is what it is...I take the risk as well as you & your friends... we all know what the risk is --- we all sign it away at every track we ride... maybe it is true as MXTuner said" his time to go " I believe this is what racing motorcycles is about! My race this Sunday will prove it! Either put it all on the line or not! If you want to move ahead & pass you may put it on the line or not! I respect you & your notions...do not feel low..this is your/mine sport - we make mistakes -- Mark was at the wrong place at the wrong time ---you bailed - you can not fault yourself..this is racing.....we all put it on the line each weekend with people we know & do not know...I do it for the rush....I may, you may happen to fall on a fallen rider......this is part of the the deal.....Mark, rest in peace my friend...you did what you enjoyed most....GMan - my heart & glory go to you -- take care my friend!!!!This is why we do this....

• SARGE

Posted December 04, 2001 - 07:33 PM

Hang in there Gman, time heals all wounds. We just lost a rider here at our local track who lost it on a jump. We do all lay it on the line everytime we mount up. It's a fast sport and things happen far too quickly for our meager human reflexes to prevent all accidents. Just got to leave it to the big guy upstairs. When it's your turn, it's your turn.

All our prayers are with you.

I love crashing!

• hoosierf

Posted December 04, 2001 - 07:56 PM

A prayer for Mark. I never met him, but I can see him and I know him.

Father, today we send a friend to your Kindom. We have sent friends before him and we too shall follow in due course. Give him rest and peace and heal his earthly wounds. Console those he left behind. Swiftly bring to us happy memories that never fade. To our fallen friend we say not good-bye, but until we meet again.

Amen

• Amador

Posted December 04, 2001 - 08:59 PM

G-man,

My thoughts are with you and all involved. I've shed a tear in your friends honor.

Christopher

• zx7king

Posted December 05, 2001 - 02:35 AM

G-Man,

Hang in there, time will heal. My heartfelt condolences go out to Mark and his family. I lost a few friends and co-racers during my roadracing days and it is a tough situation to deal with, but you will be okay, just hang in there.

-- Charles

• MAD_POTTER

Posted December 05, 2001 - 09:46 PM

G-Man,
I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend.
My condolences to all of Marks family and friends.
He will always live on in your memories.

KC

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.