hi,

I have a cr85 and i have had it for a few years now. my uncle says that he wants me to get a more reliable bike. there have been a lot of options but I have narrowed down to the klx140l. I have been doing some research and found that the cr has about 10-15 more horsepower than the klx. this got me worried because I don't really want a bike that is any slower. I am sick of finishing the ride early because there is always something wrong with it. I don't know if I should keep the cr or get a more reliable bike and have longer rides.

could people please give reasons why they think whatever they were thinking. don't just say things like " go the klx" or "the cr is way better".

could people also bring up any other bikes that could be good ( don't want a cheap Chinese bike)

I am 5'2 and weigh about 45-50kg ( 100-110 pounds)

thanks

I do decent and long trail bike riding

its a 1988 cr85,

it has thing like going through spark plugs (once it went through 3 in 5 hours), carburetor just decides to tune it self in middle of rides so it just shuts down or go a really high rev when idling. things like the bike over heating the day after I checked the cooling system had good water and coolant. I think it was just becuase of the age but once the exhaust had come of ?. also things like running out of fuel can get annoying at times when I have to walk back 6km (guess its normal for a 2 stroke) . I keep it as clean as it can be buy doing the air filter every 1-2 rides, and I give it a good hose down with the water blaster. I think it is just that is now 25 years old.

just thinking I think its an 80 not an 85.

Things don't just stop working because of age. FYI 88 was a CR 80. There are issues that need to be addressed. Sounds like you need to start with getting a manual and learning everything you can about the bike. Sounds like the carb needs some attention. The whole things probably needs to be gone through. How often do you change the trans fluid? Are you losing trans fluid? Just checking for "good" water and coolant doesn't mean things are working properly. You should have someone that knows what they are doing go through your bike and see what the issues are. Once the bike is in good working, mechanical order, it should be as reliable as the maintenance that you perform.

Edited by KcDavis

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking that as well (getting a newer 80/85) because it wont be too much longer (I hope) before I can get a 250

CR80's when maintained are tough as nails. I would clean your carb, check your fluids, and make sure you have good compression. Sounds like you have bad jetting (fouling plugs) and maybe its dirty too. Here is a jetting chart that should work for your bike:

IMG_06271.jpg

Edited by Whammy

I don't think it's the bike that's the problem. Even though its old, it should still work fine if you keep up on maintenance. As for a new bike, have you considered a crf150? If you are worried about power, go with the rb model.