Adding a tooth on the rear or new flywheel?

6 replies to this topic
  • MiniMadMan50

Posted December 13, 2003 - 04:55 PM

What would you do? I would like a more stable bottom end on our WR426 (I can handle the bike, but every visitor who rides it ends up stalling it while we're out on the trail). I'm thinking either up a tooth on the rear, or a new flywheel. I don't know anything about the flywheel costs, and I don't think I'd want to do that myself. What have/would you do? I'm currently running stock gearing on the bike.

• KentuckyWR

Posted December 14, 2003 - 10:09 AM

I just installed a new rear sprocket with two extra teeth on my WR450 and it made a huge difference. Haven't stalled it since!

• RichBaker

Posted December 14, 2003 - 10:12 AM

Personally, I think she's geared too low....I bought a 15T CS sprocket for mine yesterday :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BJE

Posted December 23, 2003 - 06:55 PM

I agree with KentuckyWR. I went from a 14/50 stock combo to 14/52 after having the bike for about a month. I found it made quite a difference in tight single track without sacrificing the top speed which I rarely if ever have truly put to the test! There is just so much power in these bikes :)

• BEAN329

Posted December 23, 2003 - 08:31 PM

Ditto, 14/52 BTW OEM yamaha sprockets are inexpensive.

• John_H

Posted December 25, 2003 - 12:07 AM

Speaking of top end: sometimes I miss it, but ususally on a road. I'm currently at 13/49. Unless I'm with a bud geared higher (on a road) I don't miss the top end. I've got a big flywheel weight and still like it geared low.

Jetting, riding style, and lots of other factors determine your outcome. Don't be afraid to gear down a bit.

Just divide the counter/rear and go from there. That's your ratio. You'll find something that works. Start at the counter (cheap) and fine tune from the rear. :)

• CronicArt

Posted December 25, 2003 - 05:35 PM

I would also go with the sprockets. I went from 14/49 to a 14/51 and it makes a good bit of differance not to mention cheaper than a new flywheel. 2cents

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.