Race Fuel Vs Octane Booster?

5 replies to this topic
  • JMoneyDc10

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hey eveyone! So I recently got a 13' YZ450F and my buddy was telling me i need to run with a octane booster on 91. Would that be better then running VP racing fuel? I believe the one by us is 101 but im not sure on that. Also, would I be able to do a 50/50 mix of vp and premium? anyways what do you guys think would work best for me? My buddy told me that my compression ratio was 14.5:1. im not the smartest to engine stuff like this so your help would be much appriciated.

Edited by JMoneyDc10, June 16, 2013 - 07:29 PM.

• Monk

Posted June 16, 2013 - 07:44 PM

A 50/50 mix would be not only beneficial but economical. Race fuel is expensive.....I personally dont think you need to run race fuel as you arent fast enough to see any real benefits....

A 91 or even 94 octane is going to work just fine, I would fine some 94 and be happy. I wouldnt even consider octane boost as a alternitive....

And I would also recommend to not take your friends too serious....

Edited by originalmonk, June 16, 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• FinchFan194

Posted June 16, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hey eveyone! So I recently got a 13' YZ450F and my buddy was telling me i need to run with a octane booster on 91. Would that be better then running VP racing fuel? I believe the one by us is 101 but im not sure on that. Also, would I be able to do a 50/50 mix of vp and premium? anyways what do you guys think would work best for me? My buddy told me that my compression ratio was 14.5:1. im not the smartest to engine stuff like this so your help would be much appriciated.

Does it have a high compression piston in it? If not then all you need is your local premium fuel...of course ethanol free premium would be ideal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Your buddy will argue that the manual says the bike needs 95 octane. If he had read farther, he might have found out that the stock compression ratio is 12.5:1 (up or down a point), but he would be right. Partly.

There are three different octane rating methods: Research, Motor, and Anti-Knock index (AKI). The Research and Motor methods use different test engines and different methods to rate the fuel's detonation resistance as compared to 100% iso-octane. The research method usually produces a higher number than the motor test on any given fuel. The AKI is used on US and Canadian gas pumps, and is an average of both test numbers.

The fuel that the manual requires 95 Research. Motor ratings for a fuel with the same detonation resistance would run around 86. Averaging those two numbers produces an AKI of 90.5, so pump 91 is just fine.

Besides, you could never get 4 octane out of any commercial octane booster.

Octane is only one attribute of a fuel to concern yourself with. It needs to be a reasonably stable fuel with as little ethanol in it as possible. Personally, I've had no problems with Southern California top tier pump gasolines, so as long as you stick with premium pump fuel from a busy, top brand station, you should be alright.

• JMoneyDc10

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:18 PM

thanks guys for the help :)

• PETE24

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:49 AM

i have 20 hrs on my 13 450 yz, and i been running sunoco 91 with the recomended amount of fuel stabilizer , the only problem i ever had with the bike was starting it, until i watched the video yamaha put out on how to start a fuel injected yz450 now it starts fine

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.