WR400/yz426 engine cobbling

3 replies to this topic
  • sch1sm

Posted June 15, 2013 - 04:18 PM

alright new guy here, dont tar and feather me if this is on here already i tried searching it out to no avail.
i currently have a 2000 y426 and have just aquired a WR400 bottom end, crank and tranny complete.
now my perfect world dream is to take the yz top end and the e-line stator off the bike and transfer it to the new WR lower. but is it really that easy? or do i have a multitude of things to change/update to make the change?
would i be better off ganking the gears out of the lower and stickign them in the existing one?

• MaxPower

Posted June 17, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Either spin your exhaust cam on the WR one tooth or install a cam from a 05 yz450 to get the same benefit plus auto compression release and you will be 90% of what you are looking for

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sch1sm

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Either spin your exhaust cam on the WR one tooth or install a cam from a 05 yz450 to get the same benefit plus auto compression release and you will be 90% of what you are looking for

so i should be able to reuse the flywheel, cylinder and piston in the new lower?
i dont do heaps of engine work (hvac/boiler mechanic) but i do know a good amount about engines, that being said i dont want to get to a $500 hangup wit hit exploded all over the garage.
i thought i saw something about the con-rods being mismatched? if so do i have ot get a WR piston and see if the cylinder can be honed?

• R_Little

Posted August 19, 2013 - 12:12 PM

so i should be able to reuse the flywheel, cylinder and piston in the new lower?
i dont do heaps of engine work (hvac/boiler mechanic) but i do know a good amount about engines, that being said i dont want to get to a $500 hangup wit hit exploded all over the garage.
i thought i saw something about the con-rods being mismatched? if so do i have ot get a WR piston and see if the cylinder can be honed?

Correct...you need a 426 rod for a 426 piston in a 400 bottom end....the 426 small end and wrist pin is bigger.

You might be able to use a 450 piston with a 426 barrel on a stock 400 bottom end.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.