Turbo for FI WR 450?

12 replies to this topic
  • yukondood

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:31 AM

LOVE my bike in the summer, more than enough power for my summer use, uncorked, Yosi pip/header, YZ cam, snorkel out, throttle stop out, Ecu upgrade, sweet program. But, in the winter I run the bike with a mt horse kit from timbersled. Works well but more power would be great. Anyone know of a turbo kit for FI wr 450.
Thanks

• mxracer992

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm in the same boat, I'm running it on my mountain horse this year as well. There is a guy in Phoenix that can do one, but its not very easy to remove for summer use. I'm going to try the Thumper Racing 480 kit, throttle body mod, dobeck programmer plus I have pretty much the same setup as you. Should be able to keep it usable for both seasons with just programming that way.

• NitrousR1

Posted July 13, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Anything can be made for the right $. Personally I'd rather just do the athena 478 kit with hot cams and some porting. I got the same setup now and enjoy it and its simple too

• MANIAC998

Posted July 14, 2013 - 02:51 AM

Wayne is the owner of Alpine Yamaha in Livingston Montana, and one of his son's has a WR450 with a turbo kit on it. Go chat with them and see if they can point you in the right direction!

• mxracer992

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:07 AM

Well after a few chats with Boondocker over the last month, it sounds like they are going to get my bike in December sometime to get a turbo kit built for it, after that they are going to offer a production kit for the WR!!! It's sounding like about 110hp to the wheel at elevation, compared to about 40hp at 8,000ft.... just a little difference! lol The kit is going to be fairly easy to remove for dirt- 1 to 2hrs to install it with no mods to the bike. Unfortunately the turbo sits under the fender, so you need to run an extended swingarm to run a tire, so the kit will have to come off for summer. At 8-10,000ft the bike will be within a couple hp of all the 800cc snowmobiles out there and half the riding weight, should be fun! I'm still trying to figure out some of the details to make it all work, the clutch and chains are going to be an issue though, if anyone else is going to build one, we should share our knowledge and get these things figured out to work.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Curious question... how does a WR engine stand up making over 100 HP ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted October 02, 2013 - 06:23 AM

I would port the head way before adding a turbo. 

The stock head is not very good with flow, and makes the power irregular.

• MaxPower

Posted October 02, 2013 - 11:01 AM

I can't see a poor 450 lasting too long putting out 100hp while beating the snot out of it in the snow. Why wouldn't you just get a snowmobile ? I see there are some pretty bad ass sleds made now

• mxracer992

Posted October 02, 2013 - 08:33 PM

The reliability is really good with the turbos, been running them for years on the sleds and the bikes have been running them for about 3 seasons now without much problem. Why don't I get a sled, why don't you get a 4 wheeler??? haha I've been snowmobiling for about 30 years and riding bikes the same, the sleds are fun but the bikes go waaaaay more places than the sleds could ever dream of going, I built up a 2013 Polaris pro 800 last year, rode a snowbike for the first time a few weeks later, I put my sled for sale when I got home and bought a Timbersled kit for my bike, it's just more fun for me.

Porting the head is a great idea and so is a big bore, which was my original plan, but the elevation kills a NA bike, it's roughly a 30% loss in power at 10,000 feet, a turbo doesn't hardly lose any. Porting the head and doing a 480 kit will gain me roughly 9hp at sea level, 6hp at 10,000ft, it's just not worth the money. A WR with head work, big bore, exhaust, cams and a tuner you're looking at 60hp sea level and 40hp at elevation. With a stock engine with a turbo running a conservative about of boost and pump gas you're looking at 80hp everywhere. Comparing the two, from what I've seen, I would say the turbo is more reliable to boot.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted October 03, 2013 - 05:25 AM

How much boost do you run ? Is it intercooled ? Pump gas ?

I have a hard time believing the engine would last at over 200HP/litre and only 9,000 RPM. Especially given the high compression ratio of the WR engines.

The sled kits look really fun, at least in the mountains. How do they work on flat terrain with hard snow ?

• Darvo

Posted October 28, 2013 - 09:39 AM

How much boost do you run ? Is it intercooled ? Pump gas ?

I have a hard time believing the engine would last at over 200HP/litre and only 9,000 RPM. Especially given the high compression ratio of the WR engines.

The sled kits look really fun, at least in the mountains. How do they work on flat terrain with hard snow ?

They work really well on hard snow.  It's flat impressive what they will do.  

There are some pictures of a turboed WR450 built by boondocker and snowest on my FB page.  I'm apparently not smart enough to get them on here this morning.

Edit: here's the bike with a Boondocker Turbo.  They say 4 hour first time install, 2 hours to take it off.

If you haven't seen or heard one of these, it's pretty cool.  They are actually pretty quiet!  Long term durability is yet to be seen. I would bet that there will be a lot of info in a few months now that consumers are getting them.

WRTurbo_zps2634a353.jpg

Edited by Darvo, October 28, 2013 - 10:28 AM.

• gsa102

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I would be skeptical that 100 HP is even possible from a 450 cc single cylinder because the combustion is not that efficient.  I would believe 60 is possible at elevation while maintaining engine life.

That is why all the sleds are multi-cylinder, a smaller combustion chamber can produce more power per cc.

• Darvo

Posted November 01, 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would be skeptical that 100 HP is even possible from a 450 cc single cylinder because the combustion is not that efficient.  I would believe 60 is possible at elevation while maintaining engine life.

That is why all the sleds are multi-cylinder, a smaller combustion chamber can produce more power per cc.

Here is a dyno sheet from a different turbo manufacturer, bike is a KTM 450.  The owner claims that the bike ran perfect all of last season.  I don't know why he would not tell the truth.

100 HP seems crazy, but apparently it is a reality.

KTM450dyno_zpsffbb6c0c.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.