Quickshot 3 question

11 replies to this topic
  • yz157

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I just bought a Boyeson quickshot 3 and installed it last night. Went to start the bike and after 2 kick it started leaking fuel out of the drain lines from the carb. I didn't look into it any further because it was so late but I am baffled by this. Anyone know what is going on with this?

• grayracer513

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:12 AM

It's flooding. While installing the pump cover, you have apparently gotten the float assembly wrong somehow, or possibly the float needle has something small under it.

• yz157

Posted June 13, 2013 - 06:58 AM

ok i'll tear it down again tonight and see whats going on. Thanks for the help. Have you ever used on of these?

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 13, 2013 - 05:53 PM

currently have one on my 2002 crf450 with 488 big bore, high comp piston, hot cam, hot rod crank, its a trick little part but.......once its set its just a shiny nice little piece of billet.
are you familiar with the accel pump and leak jets on FCR carbs ?

• yz157

Posted June 14, 2013 - 05:38 AM

No I'm not. I did get it to run without flooding last night. Certainly cut out alot of hesitation and bog at low rpms. I haven't really played with it yet but i'm gonna do some fine tuning tonight? why is it just a peice of billet on there after it's on? lol

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 14, 2013 - 05:59 AM

The adjustable leak jet assembly on the quickshot 3 is just a skrew similar to your pilot air skrew allowing a larger of smaller orfice. this orfice allows more or less fuel to leak out of the accel pump circut and back into the float bowl. thus adjusting the squirt duration ( partially) and volume. so when you find the sweet spot where ample fuel is allowed to be injected without bogging or hesitation the adjuster skrew doesnt need to be moved, hense just a shiny piece of billet and good convo starter, does do its job tho, full accel pump chambers ( without noticable air pockets ) and great adjustabliy of the leak jet, some say spend 8 bucks and buy the one smaller leak jet and most guys find thats enough. i reccommend starting with the adjuster at the stock leak jet setting and moving one jet size either way ( turning the skrew in or out) test for a bog or hesitation. make notes about how many turns and perfromance. also ensure the linkage is setup to spec. no sense adjusting, if the whole system isnt setup correctly, look into the o ring mod if you havnt already.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Based on my experience, the only advantages to be had from the QS3, or any other such aftermarket pump cover, is the improved performance that the slightly better check valves in the QS3 sometimes provide. The check valves in the OEM pump cover can occasionally fail to seat immediately when called on, but not that often. Other than that, there is the convenience of being able to adjust the leak jet from outside, but once the leak jet orifice is trimmed to your liking, it will never need to be reset unless the egine is fundamentally altered with a new set of cams or something.

Anything that can be done with the Quickshot can be done with OEM Keihin parts just as well, and the pump is not necessarily the right component to look at when chasing a bog or stumble. Pretty, yes. Convenient, for a while. IMO, money's better spent elsewhere.

• yz157

Posted June 14, 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks alot guys! what is the o-ring mod you mentioned zombiekiller?

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:02 AM

The O-ring mod: http://www.thumperta...233#post6157233

It's about 3 notches better than the wiring mod on a scale of "caveman" solutions. The real issue is that the accelerator pump linkage separator spring, which is there to allow the accelerator pump diaphragm to bottom out before the throttle is completely opened, is thought by some to be a little bit on the soft side in earlier 450's, which can limit the force of the pump squirt. The wiring mod locks the linkage together, so a bunch of even more gorilla-like things have to be done to the pump to make it all work. The best solution, if you really see this as a problem, is to use a stiffer separator spring, such as those offered by Merge Racing.

The O-ring mod is kind of an in between approach. It stiffens the separation spring by adding to the tension holding the driving and driven segments to each other, but leaves it flexible/compressible so it can continue to work as designed.

Frankly, if you tune the carb correctly otherwise, and perhaps adjust your throttle twisting style a little, none of this is necessary.

• yz157

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Well that does look simple but are there any issues that can be caused by doing this o-ring mod? If not, I would think everyone would be doin this to their 4 strokes. I know I will if there is nothing to lose...

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Yes, sometimes. The O-ring will eventually break, for one, and I know of at least once where that caused a sticking throttle condition. For another, the resulting pump shot is often more than the engine wants, and it ends up running worse.

• zombiekillr.45

Posted June 14, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Based on my experience, the only advantages to be had from the QS3, or any other such aftermarket pump cover, is the improved performance that the slightly better check valves in the QS3 sometimes provide. The check valves in the OEM pump cover can occasionally fail to seat immediately when called on, but not that often. Other than that, there is the convenience of being able to adjust the leak jet from outside, but once the leak jet orifice is trimmed to your liking, it will never need to be reset unless the egine is fundamentally altered with a new set of cams or something.

Anything that can be done with the Quickshot can be done with OEM Keihin parts just as well, and the pump is not necessarily the right component to look at when chasing a bog or stumble. Pretty, yes. Convenient, for a while. IMO, money's better spent elsewhere.

exactly!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.