Piston slap causing engine knock

4 replies to this topic
  • ATK Rider 250

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:10 PM

I picked up an '06 YZ250 today and it had a significant knock in the engine. I asked the guy if he ran premium because my '02 would knock really loud when running anything less than 95 octane. He said he did but I'm not sure if I believe him.. Just out of my own curiosity I torn down the bike and top end right when I got home.. It has a hod rod crank and the piston had significant wear and side to side slap/ play in the jug. Even though it still started first kick when I was looking it over before purchase and felt the compression with my hand which "felt good" I still think the top end needs to be done. How ever I am not sure if this is where the knocking is coming from. The bike would not stay idling even after fiddling with the adjustment screw on the carburetor. It also has a full FMF fatty system, stock reeds. I have not checked the jets yet... I can take pictures of the piston and jug if that would help.

What is a good test/ indication to tell whether my crank rod bearing/ main bearings need to be replaced?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated so please give me any feedback, I open to all suggestions.

• crf230woot

Posted June 12, 2013 - 09:52 PM

check for up and down play in your crank, that should be a good indication of how long it's been on the bottom end. there should definently not be any noticeable play in the jug, so it would be the best idea to replace your top end and then check your gap afterwards. A toasted piston may very well be the issue with the idling... As for the knocking, it could be a lot of things... check your squish to see if it is an actual pinging from the motor or something external...

• mrjata

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Bet it is one of those new diesel MX bikes.

• adam8781

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:14 PM

I picked up an '06 YZ250 today and it had a significant knock in the engine. I asked the guy if he ran premium because my '02 would knock really loud when running anything less than 95 octane. He said he did but I'm not sure if I believe him.. Just out of my own curiosity I torn down the bike and top end right when I got home.. It has a hod rod crank and the piston had significant wear and side to side slap/ play in the jug. Even though it still started first kick when I was looking it over before purchase and felt the compression with my hand which "felt good" I still think the top end needs to be done. How ever I am not sure if this is where the knocking is coming from. The bike would not stay idling even after fiddling with the adjustment screw on the carburetor. It also has a full FMF fatty system, stock reeds. I have not checked the jets yet... I can take pictures of the piston and jug if that would help.

What is a good test/ indication to tell whether my crank rod bearing/ main bearings need to be replaced?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated so please give me any feedback, I open to all suggestions.

Check the crank for up and down play, zero is what you need. check for rod play, also remove ignition cover and try to rattle the flywheel up and down, again looking for zero play.

its a used 8 year old motocross bike. Replace the topend asap with a oversize piston

stock bore is 66.40, stock piston is 66.35, by now the bore is well beyond the oem 66.40 to keep the optimal .05 piston to cylinder wall clearance you need a slightly bigger piston

pro x, oem, wossner makes stock size pistons as well as slight oversizes

66.35 A (fits perfect stock 66.40 bore)
66.36 B
66.37 C
66.38 D

rebuild it using the biggest oversized piston (oem D or pro x D)
or if you go forged (best option but a few more $)
wossner http://www.wossnerpi...0-66-42-mm-bore

Also, i would do this, use a new piston for this test.
http://www.rb-design...h-band-test.htm

if the number you get is larger than 1.5mm send it to rd designs toget the squish reduced and rechamberd for pump fuel.

• adam8781

Posted June 12, 2013 - 11:43 PM

And yes there is a good chance the rattle/knock you hear is piston slap from excess rocking in the cylinder bore.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

10 Best Mods For The 2006 Yamaha Yz250 by thebearYZ250

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2001 YZ250 resto project by yamerhaaa304

• Hot  24 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.