Mojave,DoveSP,Jawbone.Tire combos?

13 replies to this topic
  • SCteck

Posted December 12, 2003 - 07:47 PM

In the winter im all over the desert and i mean no roads style all over....I love the dunlop D773 rear. I had been running K490 front and recently put on a Bridgestone M59 and I am very unhappy!!! Last trip (rasor rd outta barstow) My bike was all over the place Shifty and unpredictable..
It would follow every track,groove or uneaven plane.
Is the K490 really that much better? What are the tires you guys like to run out there??

• tp3dxf

Posted December 12, 2003 - 07:56 PM

I started racing Dez this year. I have found that my favorite combo is the Dunlop D756 up front and a Dunlop D739AT out back.

I really like the D756 not only in the Dez but as a good all around tire. Just my 2 cents.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 13, 2003 - 11:49 AM

I have found that my favorite combo is the Dunlop D756 up front and a Dunlop D739AT out back.

That's a great combo for desert riding.. :)

My favorite front tires are the Bridgestone 601 and the Pirelli MT44, both tires stick very well....

My favorite rear tires are the Dunlop 739at and the Bridgestone 602.

I mostly ride Mojave and Jawbone Cyn...

Dan

• desertfoxx

Posted December 13, 2003 - 02:01 PM

I agree with the 739at rear. They really hold up to the rocks. Do you have a steering damper? If not I think that would really help your tracking problems. The dampers are a huge help in sand/rocks and hispeed stuff. Also they are a great saftey item (keeps you from crashing so much). :)

• SCteck

Posted December 13, 2003 - 05:14 PM

just bought a scotts dampener today :)
cant wait to put it on.Are the adjustments personal prefrence or is there a prefered setting people like to run?
Im trying to decide between Mich s12 front or d756.
thanks for your input!

• darmino

Posted December 14, 2003 - 10:50 AM

I was at mojave last weekend and loved the s12 up front
at 12 psi, Last time I was there I ran the 756 At 14 psi and wasn't as stable in the sand .( could have just been the psi, 12 psi is key)On the rear I had a 773 ,great in the sand but wears quick in the rocks so I went to the local ktm dealer in town and they had a kenda on sale for $29,slapped it on and had two days of great riding. It was so cool not having to worry about wearing out a $70 doller tire in the rocks, it still looks pretty good,
and I wasnt anywere close to easy on it. So I recommend s12 at 12psi front and any cheap new tire for the back

• SCteck

Posted December 18, 2003 - 09:21 PM

what is the bk mod?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 19, 2003 - 08:50 AM

just bought a scotts dampener today
cant wait to put it on.Are the adjustments personal prefrence or is there a prefered setting people like to run?
Im trying to decide between Mich s12 front or d756.

SC, when you first get the Scotts unit you find yourself constantly adjusting the thing back and forth. Over time you just kind of put it on one setting and forget about it. To answer your question I have mine on 5 out from the hardest when I'm going fast in the desert. If I ride MX I'll dial it to 10 out because you have to turn the bike. Congrats on the new purchase... Good investment.. Let us know what you think. :)

Dan

• BigDesto

Posted December 19, 2003 - 12:15 PM

The 739 will last forever, however i will never run one on the front! I like the 756's and they hold up pretty well out in the desert and is great on most tracks!

• Jim_bo

Posted December 19, 2003 - 01:51 PM

Dan,

I just got a Scott's damper. When you say 5 or 10 out from hardest, should I assume you mean the slow speed dial? If so, what do you do with the high speed dial?

Jimbo

• tctrailrider

Posted December 19, 2003 - 05:33 PM

what is the bk mod?

Check here, in the Tech section.

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 21, 2003 - 05:43 AM

Jim, I don't even know what the high speed setting my bike is set on, I think Scotts just sets it somewhere in the middle, that's where mine is.

• Jim_bo

Posted February 20, 2004 - 04:04 PM

I think I am going to try an S-12 for my desert riding. I am not sure how the sizes work. I have an 80/100 but the S12 only comes in a 90/90 size. Is there any real difference??

Jimbo

• hodaphile

Posted February 23, 2004 - 06:31 PM

I had been running the Dunlop AT's for years. Swore by the 695 but have been really disappointed by the replacement 739, just doesn't last nearly as well! Plus the cost was getting silly, upwards of $120 a pop! So the last time I switch to a Kenda Carlsbad. The can be run one direction for hard and other for intermediate. LOVE IT! Lasts good and long, about 1000 miles so far and less than 50% wear. Still running the K490 up front but will try a Kenda Unadilla the next time around

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.