My Dual Sported WR

8 replies to this topic
  • kawi380

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Ok, so I wanted to take the WR on DS ride but could find nothing out there to accomplished what I needed. Basically I wanted to add some saddle bags and a way to carry more gas to go further be\tween pit stops.

I only took a few pics of the pretty much finished product so you get what you get :rolleyes: .

I built my own racks out of 3/8in hot rolled steel round bar. It bent into fairly small radii and what I couldn't bend got welded. I attached wire loom protector the the rack to keep it from rubbing through the saddle bags. It worked good. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I then mounted up my wolfman saddle bags and Kolpin fuel pack Jr. With the 3gal IMS I could carry 4.5gal of gas. I got about 50mpg during the trip so had a pretty good range. More than my rear end could handle for any length of time anyway. I didn't take any pictures of the finished mounted up stuff so the trail pics will have to suffice.

from the side
Posted Image

from the back

Posted Image

I mounted my GPS to the bars using a RAM mount and connected it to the battery through a simple fuze. That was pretty much the whole DS setup. I also have a solar panel that I carry on my camel back to charge my phone and power my go pro while riding. It works great and weighs almost nothing.

I ran a Maxxis Dessert IT on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion XMCH on the front (I know, not street legal, but good tires). They still looked pretty good after 500 miles.

You can see in the pictures that we also did the same for my Dad's KLX450r.

We didn't camp over night so the wolfman bags were plenty big to carry a few changes of clothes and the necessaries for trail riding as far as tools and replacement items. We didn't end up using a single tool the whole trip, which made for a good time :ride:

• kawi380

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:03 AM

Here is a short video of a portion of the road we rode on in central Utah.

• lockheed

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:59 AM

Nicely done Kawi !
beautiful scenery on the video - but as a flatlander from michigan
watching you guys riding next to those cliffs gave me the willys
ed

Edited by lockheed, June 12, 2013 - 05:59 AM.

• rich128

Posted August 18, 2013 - 04:29 AM

nice work kawi!  It makes me anxious to get started....saddlebags look good on there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kawi380

Posted August 18, 2013 - 09:04 AM

nice work kawi!  It makes me anxious to get started....saddlebags look good on there.

The wolfman bags were huge, I only filled them to about 3/4 capacity for this trip.  The racks only cost me about $30 to fabricate also, though I am building a set now out of tube that should be a little more stiff. :ride:

• MaxPower

Posted August 20, 2013 - 01:45 PM

I wish I lived in a place where I needed to build a rack to carry extra fuel and a GPS for my rides

Nice work on the racks

Edited by MaxPower, August 20, 2013 - 01:46 PM.

• millak

Posted August 20, 2013 - 01:55 PM

Nice work on the racks! look professional haha, and that looks like an awesome place to go riding!

• kawi380

Posted August 21, 2013 - 04:03 AM

Got another ride planned for October. So will take some more pics as I assemble the whole setup. It worked out real well last time, I just need a softer seat. Or a tougher rear end.

• kawi380

Posted August 21, 2013 - 06:21 AM

I wish I lived in a place where I needed to build a rack to carry extra fuel and a GPS for my rides

Nice work on the racks

Come on out lots of long range stuff round here. :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.