Hot start issue

Most of the time when my bike stalls I have to kick it into neutral then it fires up fine, if I leave it in first and pull the hot start once it a while it will start, but mostly it just keeps trying and won't start til it goes in neutral . What's the issue ?

If you are using a 'stock' battery, this is normal, due to clutch drag.

If you install a LiNi battery with 9amps or higher, it will go away.

You still should never start your bike in gear, unless it's necessary (side of a hill).

It's really hard on the starter clutch, starter motor, and battery when you do that.

Edited by Krannie

You still should never start your bike in gear, unless it's necessary (side of a hill).

It's really hard on the starter clutch, starter motor, and battery when you do that.

Gotta ask, is it really that bad on them? I've always started my kickstart bikes in gear without any issue's and not really changed that habit with the Wr. What problems will it cause?

It has no effect on kickstart bikes.

E start bikes have more parts, more load, more 'weak links'.

Whew, had me scared for a moment, I kick my bike in first (accidently or just out of shear laziness) probably one out of every 50 kicks. No battery, which sounds okay.

It has no effect on kickstart bikes.

E start bikes have more parts, more load, more 'weak links'.

I figured that but has there been previous failure to any of these parts due to people starting them with the button in gear? No debate here just curious. My bike seems to turn over in gear with the clutch pulled in just as easy as if it were in neutral " But" I don't want to cause a problem down the road if this is an issue.

IF you have any clutch drag (mine does, so I have to find neutral) It simply puts more load on the starter motor, which draws more amps from the battery than usual. This in turn eventually kills your battery and stresses the starter motor to shorten its life.

Not a huge problem immediately, but best practice is to use your button in neutral, like Krannie said.

....or use your clutch and quit stalling all together...

Try riding the stuff I do without stalling....

I figured if the bike is very hot from slow tight trail riding it fires right up. But if it's been run on open trails keeping the heat down then I need to put it in neutral. 1 kick starts it every time though