2014 YZ 450 shown Tuesday 6/11/13!

37 replies to this topic
  • Troutman

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:34 PM

On the Spec sheet under the MSRP section it states that they are available from June 2013. That seems really early...has anyone heard anything on when they will be delivered to dealerships?

• Troutman

Posted June 12, 2013 - 05:51 PM

Wow, something else that really stood out to me is the size, its a much smaller bike, almost an inch lower seat. It also has 2 inches less ground clearance than the 2010 - 13 models........very interesting..........

• Navaho6

Posted June 12, 2013 - 06:51 PM

I read somewhere that the bikes will be here in about 1 month.

• numroe

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:12 PM

As soon as I read they moved the steering head aft 10mm I thought "say no more". As far as handling goes, that's a new bike! 10mm is huge.

I cannot imagine that custom offset head bearings in a 2010-13 bike could get to as much as 5mm. Wonder what JGR are using?

The narrower shrouds we all expected. That's the other huge change.

The revised air box access looks good.

A 22mm front axle. Wow. Is there much point in that without also beefing up the front spokes?

I hope Yamaha can get back in there at the top end of the AMA pro ranks. A lot of proud history there, and superb manufacturing capabilities.

• DC_Excitement

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:37 PM

now how to convince my lady to let me trade my 2010 for this new one. <_<

• DC_Excitement

Posted June 12, 2013 - 07:40 PM

As soon as I read they moved the steering head aft 10mm I thought "say no more". As far as handling goes, that's a new bike! 10mm is huge.

I cannot imagine that custom offset head bearings in a 2010-13 bike could get to as much as 5mm. Wonder what JGR are using?

The narrower shrouds we all expected. That's the other huge change.

The revised air box access looks good.

A 22mm front axle. Wow. Is there much point in that without also beefing up the front spokes?

I hope Yamaha can get back in there at the top end of the AMA pro ranks. A lot of proud history there, and superb manufacturing capabilities.

what Yamaha needs to do is get back the factory team and hire someone legit. man up and pay someone

• supernot

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:27 PM

This might be the first time I buy a bike on the frist year of a "new" model . Had a 08,,,but I now have a 2012 thats pretty dialed in.... need to start sweet talking the boss as well. Electric start would have been killer.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted June 12, 2013 - 10:37 PM

GYTR has a set up so it easily pops off with some force. Perhaps that will help you. Myself, I welcome a more open cockpit and the less likely hood of my gas cap coming off and drenching myself in gasoline. Have you had that happen during a race before? I didn't finish as I sprinted / stripped and poured a gallon of water on my junk.

I'm half kidding on my post on the matter. I do see the up sides to the location and I'm sure some mad genius out there will come up with a cool compromise :cheers: . It really does not matter to me much reguardless i'm married to my 03 for life I think :awww: or at least I tell her that :thinking:. Over all I think the rest of the bike is pretty cool some pretty big shake ups in the mx thumper line up the last 2 years from yz to wr

• rr558

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Wow, something else that really stood out to me is the size, its a much smaller bike, almost an inch lower seat. It also has 2 inches less ground clearance than the 2010 - 13 models........very interesting..........

That right there could convince me to buy as I hated how big my 11 was so I traded for a Honda that fits me better. Not digging the gas cap cover though as that will wear out and fall off eventually. IMHO

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • THOR450

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:47 PM

in one of the intro videos, near the end, the guy said, "The 450 will be in the dealerships near the end of JUNE and the 250 guys have to wait until OCTOBER!"

• migs647

Posted June 15, 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm half kidding on my post on the matter. I do see the up sides to the location and I'm sure some mad genius out there will come up with a cool compromise :cheers: . It really does not matter to me much reguardless i'm married to my 03 for life I think :awww: or at least I tell her that :thinking:. Over all I think the rest of the bike is pretty cool some pretty big shake ups in the mx thumper line up the last 2 years from yz to wr

:thumbsup:

Just a side note, the other day I raced my 2 stroke back to back with my 2013 450, bad idea. Almost killed myself on the two stroke, over jumping everything. So, now I'm trying to convince my wife that I need a 2013 AND 2014, but wondering how big the differences would be. I don't want to jump on the '14 too early either, as I want them to work out any bugs that might come up.

• numroe

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:43 PM

what Yamaha needs to do is get back the factory team and hire someone legit. man up and pay someone

Now that they've moved the steering stem aft 10mm, maybe Yamaha can get a top rider to accept a top pay check. So fast riders might not be scared away after a test ride on what has been considered a career ending bike by some at the top of the sport in the AMA ranks. Dean Wilson knocked back $1.5M from JGR+Yam, after he had a test ride on the 2013 bike. Sure some guys like the 2010-13 or at least find it OK. This 2014 model is hopefully a game changer for Yamaha, and I hope the 250F works great too. Man, if I was loaded, I just buy one of each due to my curiosity.

Edited by numroe, June 17, 2013 - 06:02 PM.

• Monk

Posted June 17, 2013 - 03:47 PM

It does so after 30 seconds or so, yes.

On my 500exc it cuts out after about 8 secs.....

• grayracer513

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:26 PM

They don't give an old guy much time to get up, do they? :smirk:

Well, they're e-start anyway.

• cowboyona426

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:15 AM

I don't think they're very concerned about the oversized tank thing, although I'm sure someone will come up with one. They most likely see the new WR as answering the needs of the off-road segment of the market, which it does very well. There will, of course, be those who want this one over the WR, even for that purpose.

The conversion to wet sump is interesting, too. I wonder what the oil capacity is.

Color me guilty. While I like the new WR just fine, there are a few things I don't like about it. Personally I don't see the need for e-start though there are times it would be handy. I'd rather not have the weight penalty though. I also like the more protected exhaust on the 10+ YZ's, though the new 14 design does leave it a bit more vulnerable than the 10-13 design although I think you'd be hard pressed to damage the header much. I'd like to ride the new YZ and see how it does.
I believe I saw oil capacity listed somewhere at just under a liter.

• ornghtr

Posted June 25, 2013 - 02:23 PM

Can't wait to see it.

How ya been man?

Been doing ok except for breaking my back again at monster mountain in Alabama lol. Hows it going up there? Still got junior riding?

• Monk

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:40 AM

They don't give an old guy much time to get up, do they? :smirk:

Well, they're e-start anyway.

Yup, lazy man style!

• FinchFan194

Posted June 27, 2013 - 12:29 PM

Been doing ok except for breaking my back again at monster mountain in Alabama lol. Hows it going up there? Still got junior riding?

Yes sir!
Posted Image

I am thinking this new YZ450 is in my future, gotta get the boy a YZ85 and then it will be time to think about upgrading my trusty '08 YZ450!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.