Crud in Oil Filter

3 replies to this topic
  • Katzat

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I changed the oil in my YZ450 this afternoon for the first time since getting a stainless steel reuseable oil filter. I cleaned it in a pan of mineral spirits with a tooth brush (tastes horrible now). Afterwards I filter the mineral spirits back into the can for reuse.

I noticed what I thought was an excessive amount of debris had come off the filter. I should have taken a picture of it. Not like I was panning for gold or anything, but definitely metallic.

Being new to dirt bikes and brand new to a cleanable oil filter in any application, I was wondering if any experienced guys had any comments.

Is this normal? Or is my bike grinding itself into oblivion? Or both?

Bear in mind that I ride like a little girl and this oil had possibly 20 hours of running time on it. Half of that is probably idling. The bike seems to run well (but I may not know what a well running 450 feels like).

• NEKOOHC

Posted June 10, 2013 - 02:45 AM

A picture would tell the story

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Katzat

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:02 AM

A picture would tell the story

Ill get one next time. Not sure if the phone/camera will have enough resolution or be able to focus lose enough.

• grayracer513

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:40 AM

The oil filter is there because the crud is. What you found sounds entirely normal. If there is a sudden increase in the amount, or you suddenly start seeing unusual things, like 1mm steel flakes, then worry about it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.