Need quit exhaust for 2003 Yamaha WR450F

22 replies to this topic
  • MXCRFDAD

Posted June 09, 2013 - 02:05 PM

I have a 03 WR450F and it has an FMF exhaust which is pretty load. The wife wants me to get a quieter pipe. Any thoughts i dont want to spend a lot. I have been looking on ebay for a stock pipe and baffel but no luck yet

• mud_or_dust

Posted June 09, 2013 - 02:12 PM

I have a stock pipe for '12 wr450f. Anybody know if that could work?

• MXCRFDAD

Posted June 09, 2013 - 03:23 PM

What year's of YZ450 EXHAUST's will fit a 2003 WR450F?

• MaxPower

Posted June 09, 2013 - 05:43 PM

03 to 05.
don't even think of installing a stock Wr silencer

if I had to ride a Wr with the stock pipe I'd choose another bike

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:31 PM

The stock pipe with the GYT insert is the only 'quiet' pipe that will allow you to still uncork the intake and jetting and allow the motor to run well.
Everything else is louder.

Have you tried re-packing the FMF pipe ???

• revyrider

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Check out the Lexx pipe from Rocky Mountain ATV. I have one on my '07 & it works great. YZ pipes are also LOUD!

• shrubitup

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:00 AM

Motoworks SR4 G2 was not offensive on my yz250f. Very sturdy too. But ya you should try a re-pack first.

• jetfuel

Posted June 10, 2013 - 06:30 AM

The stock pipe with the GYT insert is the only 'quiet' pipe that will allow you to still uncork the intake and jetting and allow the motor to run well.

+1 I've been running this setup for a couple years now and its wonderfully stealthy..

• GP1K

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Stock is definitely quietest, if you're willing to give up some power/throttle response. Next best thing is probably the FMF Q4. Not as quiet as stock obviously, definitely not loud. Definitely the right balance for me. YMMV

• L. Euler

Posted June 11, 2013 - 05:48 PM

I have a FMF Q and it is tuned about right for a 450. Nice sound without being obnoxious I've had to repack a couple times, but it is quieter than than the GYTR that I have on my Raptor 250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXCRFDAD

Posted June 15, 2013 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like i need to repack where can i buy packing material? What part number will i need

• L. Euler

Posted June 15, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like i need to repack where can i buy packing material? What part number will i need

I bought a sack at my dealer. I've also bought from FMF. Just give them a call and tell them you need packing. I'm sure there is a part number, but you don't need it.

Edited by GammaFunction, June 15, 2013 - 07:01 PM.

• miweber929

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:29 AM

What model FMF do you have? They make lots of different styles and some are very loud and some are quieter (Q series). I'm a big proponent for keeping fresh packing in your exhaust to keep noise down but know all of the above suggestions for FMF being quiet are for the Q series exhaust.

Not that packing is hard or expensive, I'd just hate to see you repack your "race" pipe thinking we all said it'd be quiet when by design it might not be. The Q4 stuff is very quiet, my Q2 is better but still a tick loud; probably needs a repack as well!!!

• MXCRFDAD

Posted June 16, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks to everyone for posting. The muffler is an fmf power core 4 it looks old maybe it was put on when the bicke was new. I took some pictures

• miweber929

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting. The muffler is an fmf power core 4 it looks old maybe it was put on when the bicke was new. I took some pictures

If memory severs the PC 4 is pretty loud, packing will help but I'd call FMF and see if they have an insert or a different baffle that should help. Would be cheaper than a new Q4.

• MXCRFDAD

Posted June 16, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Pictures of my very load exhaust

Attached Thumbnails

• 1371431418444.jpg
  • 1371431454651.jpg
  • 1371431485843.jpg

• n16ht5

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:05 AM

I have tried a ton of pipes out there.. the LEXX with the $20 extra trail saver is the quietest aftermarket pipe I know of. Almost stock quiet, but with better power

• Motomike1

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:52 PM

+1 I've been running this setup for a couple years now and its wonderfully stealthy..

How the hell do you guys remove the allen screws from the muffler end of the pipe to remove the tip? it seems damn near impossible and I think I stripped the one allen bolt. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cry:

• tighe

Posted June 21, 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have a FMF Q and it is tuned about right for a 450. Nice sound without being obnoxious I've had to repack a couple times, but it is quieter than than the GYTR that I have on my Raptor 250.

+1 on the Q series. Ive got an 03 as well, and this pipe works well for stealth at low RPMs.

• MaxPower

Posted June 22, 2013 - 05:33 AM

I have tried a ton of pipes out there.. the LEXX with the $20 extra trail saver is the quietest aftermarket pipe I know of. Almost stock quiet, but with better power

I'd have to go with n16ht5 opinion. Ive read his silencer shoot out thread.he rides enough and would appear he would know how each pipe performs.
I just wouldn't take his opinion on the weight of a WR . He just thinks his WR is a light dirtbike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.