ok, ok, enduro ODO/spedo

14 replies to this topic
  • ThunderChicken

Posted December 12, 2003 - 02:37 PM

i tried a search and it didn't pan.
can you guys tell me if any of you have made a bicycle computer work well as a ODO/SPEDO. the spedo part isn't important. just need something that is
1. displayable/resetable to tenths.
2. large display to read at speed
3. easy to adjust while twitterpaited
5. $50 max
6. most importantly works with 21 inch wheels

thanks

• BWB63

Posted December 12, 2003 - 03:48 PM

https://www.bajadesi...e.jsp?login=YES

It uses you exsting odometer cable. Not what you asked for but it works for me.

• qadsan

Posted December 12, 2003 - 05:36 PM

See Craig's web site regarding the CatEye Enduro 2 bicycle computer using Trail Tech's sensor assembly. You can buy CatEye Enduro 2's on Ebay for under $20 and sometimes under $10. Here's Craig's link...

http://chblock.com/d.../xr650r/speedo/

• smashinz2002

Posted December 12, 2003 - 10:00 PM

I don't know dude, I'm running an '85 XR350R speedo/odo on my 650R. Only reason I did that is because it was used/free, and hooks right up.

• J_T

Posted December 13, 2003 - 01:12 PM

Is that the LCD one? Do you not like it!
I had a friend that had one on his Orange XR350 that he didn't ride anymore and I was going to offer to buy it off of him but his bike and sons XR250R was stolen not too long ago! So no such luck. There was one on Ebay that went for >$150 so someone thinks highly of them

Just curious.
JT

• Mouser

Posted December 13, 2003 - 07:19 PM

Howdy
The specialized speedzone sport works great as a programable enduro odo/speedo. I used one for four mos. I used a ktm rotor mounted magnet as the standard spec. magnet is pretty much useless. The 2003 model (looks like a big watch)is what you want and a cadence sensor kit(extra long wire)for the speedzone elite. Should set you back around $40.00 or so. :)

• smashinz2002

Posted December 13, 2003 - 09:10 PM

Hey J T. . No, it's not the LCD one, it's analog with an odo
I don't know, it might not be from an '85, could be earlier model? The guy I got it from said the bike, which was a parts bike, was an '85, but it could have been an earlier year, just not sure. The speedo was in perfect shape though, and free, so I took it, and it stills works.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted December 15, 2003 - 10:21 AM

Howdy
The specialized speedzone sport works great as a programable enduro odo/speedo. I used one for four mos. I used a ktm rotor mounted magnet as the standard spec. magnet is pretty much useless. The 2003 model (looks like a big watch)is what you want and a cadence sensor kit(extra long wire)for the speedzone elite. Should set you back around $40.00 or so. :)

did you use the "ktm rotor mounted magnet" on a OEM 650r rotor? where did you get it? also, how does the cadence kit for the specialized unit mount up at the wheel end? tap the calipers? zip ties?
thanks

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 15, 2003 - 10:24 AM

See Craig's web site regarding the CatEye Enduro 2 bicycle computer using Trail Tech's sensor assembly. You can buy CatEye Enduro 2's on Ebay for under $20 and sometimes under $10. Here's Craig's link...

this route seems to be the best but i don't like the idea of having to take the magnet and disk to a machinist... is this a little extreme? can't i just wedge it in there?

i have it down to the cateye with trail tech wire kit and the specialized with the cadence kit... still on the fence...

btw: has anyone made the oem odo mount up out of the way on a brp triple clamp with a scotts foward mount steering dampener?

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 15, 2003 - 10:30 AM

btw: i'm aware of the scotts bracket... they want $30 for their bracket... there must be another way to mount the oem odo with a forward mount scotts...

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 15, 2003 - 12:09 PM

quadsan,
any idea if i could use the magnetic bolt/sensor from ziptie racing with the trail tech sensor wires?
http://ziptyracing.c...&CategoryID=106

i assume it would change the location of the mount...

• XR250rdr

Posted December 16, 2003 - 02:38 AM

Hey J T. . No, it's not the LCD one, it's analog with an odo
I don't know, it might not be from an '85, could be earlier model? The guy I got it from said the bike, which was a parts bike, was an '85, but it could have been an earlier year, just not sure. The speedo was in perfect shape though, and free, so I took it, and it stills works.

Posted Image I used to have one on my 250, but it broke. I really want to get another one, but a new one is not happening (~$190) and used ones are few and far between.

• qadsan

Posted December 16, 2003 - 09:10 AM

I think you might be able to use this. The issue would be if the sensor could be positioned low enough, but I think it might be able to. My bike's are all at my other house right now (if a different state), otherwise I'd pull the capiler off and take a peek. If the sensor can be mounted low enough and I seem to recall there being more room to go lower, then this would be an ideal solution :) I think if my magnet falls out, then I'll either drill out one of my rotor bolts and glue in one of my spare magnets or simply buy one already made up like this.

• jabroni1m

Posted December 19, 2003 - 10:37 PM

Theres the new cateye 8 selling on ebay and its more advanced and has a stronger, thicker cable running down for the magnet pickup so It doesn't break offroad. It works wonderfully with any size wheel as well.

• Mouser

Posted December 21, 2003 - 09:46 AM

I did use the ktm magnet on the stock xr/l rotor. All that was involved was enlarging one of the existing holes in the lower portion of the rotor. Check out any late model ktm enduro bike and you will get the idea. Also any ktm dealer can order the magnet for you. The only concern was making sure the magnet cleared the caliper. Pretty much a nonissue if you are careful.
The cadence sensor on the speedzone elite/comp is just like the speed sensor on the sport. It just has a longer wire. The sensor wire plugs into the back of the computer head. That's one of the good things about this unit. It plugs in rather than being soldered together. If you snag the sensor wire and pull it out. All you have to do is plug it back in rather than buy a new mount. :)
Specialized has a new model called the turbo sport for 04 that has a larger speed readout with the same plug in sensor wire. I have yet to try one on my xr yet (just got a panoram)but I've installed on a few mtb's and it has potential.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.