2004 450 cant keep coolant in it.

3 replies to this topic
  • danzick

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:32 AM

i was riding in the dunes yesteday and i noticed on the way back to camp my bike was pouring coolant out of the overflow pretty good. i just figured it was because we had a little bit if a tail wind. well no matter what i did it was loosing coolant out of the overflow. ive had this bike in the dunes for 6 years and ive never had an overheating problem with it. i have a works connections temp sticker on my cylinder and it was showing around 185 degrees for temp and was still boiling over. at one time it was pouring out when my sticker even said just 158 degrees. i tried a new 16 psi radiator cap, that didnt help and i made sure it was circulating coolant by watching it with the cap off. whats going on here? head gasket failure?

• DC_Excitement

Posted June 09, 2013 - 03:50 PM

it sounds like your head gasket let go to me

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • danzick

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:29 PM

yeah thats what i was thinking. should i expect water in the oil? i havent had a change to drop the oil yet. it looks fine on the dipstick.

• danzick

Posted October 29, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Figured id update this for any future searchers. Replaced the head gasket and the problem went away.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.