99 YZ400f

3 replies to this topic
  • Kawturbo1

Posted June 08, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have a 99 YZ400f . The gear position indicator became brittle and the mounting tabs broke. Does this need to be replaced? Will it affect the way the engine runs? I can make a block off plate to replace it, no problem. But want to know what will happen if I do.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2013 - 07:44 PM

It may or may not start a little differently, but as long as the blue/white wire never gets grounded, the bike will just think it's never in neutral.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawturbo1

Posted June 08, 2013 - 07:48 PM

That's it? SWEET. It starts pretty easy without it. I just wasn't sure if it had a different timing for each gear or something and would be stuck in some low power mode if it wasn't hooked up or something. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2013 - 07:50 PM

If it gets grounded, the CDI will think it's in neutral, and the rev limit will drop from 11,500 to 6500. That would be a low power mode.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.